Old 28-12-2002, 03:59 AM
Warwick Michael Dumas

Default Jacarandas

Hi

Apologies if this is the nth time this appears, my computer is getting
in a right state.

I'm sowing Jacaranda Mimosifolia ("the tree/shrub most enjoyed on
mediterranean holidays") which gets to 3-10 feet. I'd like to know if
anyone else has grown this and especially, how fast it grows.

This is because I don't yet have a greenhouse which can deal with 10
foot TREES however much enjoyed or not, and I'm not likely to afford
the garden to go with that kind of thing for a good long while yet!

Any advice appreciated.

Warwick Dumas

"If Adolf Hitler flew in today, they'd send a limousine anyway"
- the late Joe Strummer
Old 29-12-2002, 05:05 AM

Sacha wrote:

Don't want to be a party-pooper but we think it's very unlikely you'll get a
Jacaranda to flower outdoors in our UK climate, unless you're in a very
hotspot, with long summer days and a lot of shelter!

It highly unlikely - even in the warmest spots. Jacaranda needs a
good 4 months of hot dry weather (temperatures rising to the upper
20's or 30's (C) in order to ripen the wood sufficiently for it to
flower. Furthermore, even though it is naturally deciduous, it cannot
cope with our cool wet winters. Ironically the drier, colder winters
of the South of France etc suit it well.

We have one that
*does* flower in the largest of the nursery glasshouses and that's now about
10' but Ray is very doubtful it would flower even here in S. Devon, except
under glass.

Ray's absolutely spot on. It can be flowered as a large 'shrub' or
small tree in a decent sized pot, but you need to grow it to around 8
feet at least. It also needs the additional heat of a greenhouse -
even if it is cold glass. This way it can benefit from a warm, early
start in order to produce flowers, followed by enough new wood for
flowering in the subsequent year. Essentially, it is similar in
requirements to those of 'Crepe Myrtle' (Lagerstroemia) but possibly
less hardy. Sacha, Ray and myself could tell you a thing about
getting those beauties to flower :-[

That said, Jacaranda makes a nice foliage plant for the slightly
heated greenhouse and can be easily constrained to a smaller size if
necessary. Give it a good sandy, loam-based compost and pinch-out or
prune the shoots as necessary. You can also train it to a single stem
in order to get the largest leaves. Grown this way it makes an
impressive temporary plant for the patio in summer, growing to 6 or 7
feet high and can be pruned back to 12" high or so in winter. This
makes it relatively easy to store under glass.

Dave Poole
TORQUAY UK
Old 29-12-2002, 11:23 AM
sacha

in article ,
at wrote on 29/12/02 5:05
am:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

comment on just that! These are grown as street trees in the Dordogne and
the Lot to our certain knowledge and despite the sometimes bitter winds of
winter, flower brilliantly in summer. But here............!

That said, Jacaranda makes a nice foliage plant for the slightly
heated greenhouse and can be easily constrained to a smaller size if
necessary. Give it a good sandy, loam-based compost and pinch-out or
prune the shoots as necessary. You can also train it to a single stem
in order to get the largest leaves. Grown this way it makes an
impressive temporary plant for the patio in summer, growing to 6 or 7
feet high and can be pruned back to 12" high or so in winter. This
makes it relatively easy to store under glass.

I don't know where Warwick lives so this suggestion might not be viable but
I wondered if a Paulownia might answer his purpose for outdoors? Again, if
it won't flower it could be grow for its fabulous leaves and if it *will*
flower in his locale, it would at least remind him of a Jacaranda somewhat!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-12-2002, 11:01 PM

Sacha wrote:

I don't know where Warwick lives so this suggestion might not be viable but
I wondered if a Paulownia might answer his purpose for outdoors?

Well it would, but Jacaranda is perfectly happy sitting out of doors
in summer if it is grown for its fine delicate foliage only. I used
them for 'spot' bedding (dreadful term) in the Midlands, sinking their
pots in the ground to give height and a touch of the exotic to a
border. They grew extremely well when placed out of doors in June and
were brought in before the first frosts.

Dave Poole
TORQUAY UK
Old 30-12-2002, 01:07 AM
Warwick Michael Dumas

sacha wrote in message .uk...
in article ,
at wrote on 29/12/02 5:05
am:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I live in Coventry but my street (on the lee side of a hill) seems to
have its own microclimate - my parents seem to get about three times
as much rain much of the year and they only live down the road in
Oxfordshire.

I didn't realise it would probably be a case of growing it as a kind
of perennial rather than a tree. I guess this can be a good thing
though. Are we saying it can't be grown as a tree even in a
decent-size unheated greenhouse?