Old 17-05-2004, 09:26 PM
[H]omer

Default ID this mystery (wild?) flower, TIA

We've got these in our back garden:

http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/images/flower.jpg
(2400x1800 719.1K)

Smaller pictu
http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/i...ower-small.jpg
(640x480 219.4K)

And yes, those are *it's* leaves in the foreground. The flower has a
long thin green stem.

My Mother seems to think this is a rare/endangered wild woodland species,
but doesn't know for sure what it is; any ideas?

Thanks,

-
[H]omer
Old 17-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Bob Hobden

"[H]omer" wrote in message
We've got these in our back garden:

http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/images/flower.jpg
(2400x1800 719.1K)

Smaller pictu
http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/i...ower-small.jpg
(640x480 219.4K)

And yes, those are *it's* leaves in the foreground. The flower has a
long thin green stem.

My Mother seems to think this is a rare/endangered wild woodland species,
but doesn't know for sure what it is; any ideas?

Anemone nemorosa "Vestal". A double form of the Wood Anemone.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 17-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Kay Easton

In article , [H]omer
writes
We've got these in our back garden:

http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/images/flower.jpg
(2400x1800 719.1K)

Smaller pictu
http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/i...ower-small.jpg
(640x480 219.4K)

And yes, those are *it's* leaves in the foreground. The flower has a
long thin green stem.

My Mother seems to think this is a rare/endangered wild woodland species,
but doesn't know for sure what it is; any ideas?

Nice :-)
She's partly right - it's Anemone nemorosa - wood anemone or wildflower
- which is a wildflower (though not endangered, but as a woodland
species it's not exactly weed status) - except that this is not the wild
species, it's a double flowered garden variety.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 17-05-2004, 11:24 PM
[H]omer

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:31:04 +0100, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , [H]omer
writes

We've got these in our back garden:

http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/images/flower.jpg
(2400x1800 719.1K)

My Mother seems to think this is a rare/endangered wild woodland species,
but doesn't know for sure what it is; any ideas?

Nice :-)
She's partly right - it's Anemone nemorosa - wood anemone or wildflower

Thanks!

I just found this seconds before reading your post:

http://www.rareplants.co.uk/anemone/ (commercial site)

It's the "Vestal", as Bob also pointed out.

I think my father may have "collected" some from the woods (he worked for
the Forestry Commission years ago).

-
[H]omer

Old 18-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Kay Easton

In article , [H]omer
writes
On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:31:04 +0100, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , [H]omer
writes

We've got these in our back garden:

http://www.genesis-x.nildram.co.uk/images/flower.jpg
(2400x1800 719.1K)

My Mother seems to think this is a rare/endangered wild woodland species,
but doesn't know for sure what it is; any ideas?

Nice :-)
She's partly right - it's Anemone nemorosa - wood anemone or wildflower

Thanks!

I just found this seconds before reading your post:

http://www.rareplants.co.uk/anemone/ (commercial site)

It's the "Vestal", as Bob also pointed out.

I think my father may have "collected" some from the woods (he worked for
the Forestry Commission years ago).

Are you sure? As a garden variety I'd be very surprised to see it in the
woods.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: