Old 19-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Diane Epps

Default Cistus cuttings

I have a fairly large Cistus bush which has toppled over and is now growing
horizontally. I intend to remove it but would like to keep the plant by
taking cuttings. Is now a good time and is there anything I should know to
help make sure the cuttings take.
Diane

Old 19-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Emrys Davies

'Diane',

From Reader's Digest Encyclopaedia Of Garden Plants And Flowers.

"Take cuttings, 3"-4" long, of half-ripened non-flowering shoots with a
heel in July or August.

Insert the cuttings in equal parts (by volume) of peat and sand (I
prefer compost and perlite) in a propagating frame with a temperature of
16ºC (61ºF).

Pot-up when rooted and keep in coldframe during the winter. Pot on in
May and protect in coldframe during the winter before planting out the
following May."

From seed and cuttings.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.ma...op/Cistus.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

et...

Old 19-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Diane Epps" contains these words:

I have a fairly large Cistus bush which has toppled over and is now growing
horizontally. I intend to remove it but would like to keep the plant by
taking cuttings. Is now a good time and is there anything I should know to
help make sure the cuttings take.

I've got one which I layered late last summer (just piled soil over a
low-growing branch and weighed it down with a stone). I haven't detached
the layer yet but from its vigour I'm pretty confident it has rooted;
I'm going to make more layers into pots.

Janet.