Old 20-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Neil Allen

Default Growing From Seed

Good afternoon,
I'm after some advise; I am trying to grow some blackthorn seeds. They
have sprouted and I have transplanted them to pots in compost. They do well
for a while and get to be a reasonable size (80mm tall). Then I'll leave for
work , come back and they have wilted, never to recover.

Where am I going wrong?

Many thanks,

Neil..

Old 21-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Robert

Neil Allen wrote:
: Good afternoon,
: I'm after some advise; I am trying to grow some blackthorn seeds.
: They have sprouted and I have transplanted them to pots in compost.
: They do well for a while and get to be a reasonable size (80mm tall).
: Then I'll leave for work , come back and they have wilted, never to
: recover.
:
: Where am I going wrong?
:
: Many thanks,
:
: Neil..

seeing as no one has answered , ....are they indoors and too warm?

Old 24-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Neil Allen

They are indoor, but I don't believe they're too hot. They're not in any
special area, just the kitchen.

Do I take it they should be kept cooler rather than warm?

Thanks for your reply,

Neil..

Old 24-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Neil Allen
writes
They are indoor, but I don't believe they're too hot. They're not in any
special area, just the kitchen.

Do I take it they should be kept cooler rather than warm?

Blackthorn are an outdoor plant and one of the first to flower in early
spring - they're tough! That said, your kitchen shouldn't be desperately
warmer than outdoors at this time of year - except that once they are
getting to this temperature they need far more light than can be managed
indoors otherwise they'll get weak and leggy. And that in turn will make
them even more susceptible to drying out.

By the way, please don't top post. The convention in this group is to
bottom post (or post in-line) ad top posting makes a real muddle of the
threads.

Thanks for your reply,

Neil..

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:
| In article , Neil Allen
| writes
| They are indoor, but I don't believe they're too hot. They're not in any
| special area, just the kitchen.
|
| Do I take it they should be kept cooler rather than warm?
|
| Blackthorn are an outdoor plant and one of the first to flower in early
| spring - they're tough! That said, your kitchen shouldn't be desperately
| warmer than outdoors at this time of year - except that once they are
| getting to this temperature they need far more light than can be managed
| indoors otherwise they'll get weak and leggy. And that in turn will make
| them even more susceptible to drying out.

But, yes, they should be kept cooler. When Kay says that they are
tough, she means against cold, wet and poor soil. Compare that
with Prunus webbii (Cretan wild almond), which is almost immune
from drying out and overheating (even in combination) but cannot
compare with Prunus spinosa (the sloe or blackthorn) for British
conditions.

At this time of year, the latter will do better in a shaded, light
spot out of doors (if they are in pots) than on a sunny window
ledge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.