GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mole hunt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/62730-mole-hunt.html)

Jaques d'Alltrades 02-06-2004 08:11 PM

Mole hunt

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

When conducting your research into the legality of relocating moles,
please bear in mind that the woods I refer to are on my land.

Touché

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Sacha 02-06-2004 09:15 PM

Mole hunt

On 2/6/04 19:23, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

When conducting your research into the legality of relocating moles,
please bear in mind that the woods I refer to are on my land.

Touché

Well, yes and no. Stephen didn't tell us that and so Jane's response was
quite reasonable. If people release moles or other wild critters onto
'wild' land, there is a good chance they'll be annoying/upsetting someone
else.
If Stephen is happy to have his woods ploughed up by moles that's very nice
for all of them. Of course, at some point his woods must have a boundary -
and Moley might not be content to remain within it........
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Kay Easton 02-06-2004 11:13 PM

Mole hunt

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2/6/04 19:23, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

When conducting your research into the legality of relocating moles,
please bear in mind that the woods I refer to are on my land.

Touché

Well, yes and no. Stephen didn't tell us that and so Jane's response was
quite reasonable. If people release moles or other wild critters onto
'wild' land, there is a good chance they'll be annoying/upsetting someone
else.
If Stephen is happy to have his woods ploughed up by moles that's very nice
for all of them. Of course, at some point his woods must have a boundary -
and Moley might not be content to remain within it........

Well, that's equally true if Stephen just decides to leave them be. Or
are you suggesting everyone has a duty to eradicate moles in case they
move out of their own garden into someone else's?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 03-06-2004 12:16 AM

Mole hunt

On 2/6/04 22:43, in article , "Kay
Easton" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2/6/04 19:23, in article
,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

[...]

I think that everyone has a duty NOT to move moles off their own land and
onto someone else's.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Stephen Howard 03-06-2004 12:18 AM

Mole hunt

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:22:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 2/6/04 19:23, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

When conducting your research into the legality of relocating moles,
please bear in mind that the woods I refer to are on my land.

Touché

Well, yes and no. Stephen didn't tell us that and so Jane's response was
quite reasonable. If people release moles or other wild critters onto
'wild' land, there is a good chance they'll be annoying/upsetting someone
else.
If Stephen is happy to have his woods ploughed up by moles that's very nice
for all of them. Of course, at some point his woods must have a boundary -
and Moley might not be content to remain within it........

In which case your solution appears to be...

Kill them!! Kill them allllllllllllllaahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

So, next question then.... what sort of kit do I need to take out the
following 'pests' that ( damn them ) roam around my woods and most of
Hants:

Moles
Rabbits
Badgers
Deer
Foxes
Pigeons
Rats
Squirrels
Anything looking vaguely like Bill Oddie...

I think that covers most of the *******s....wouldn't want anyone to
complain that nasty animals are popping out of my woods and
'ploughing' up the land...I mean, how DARE they!! Next thing you know
they'll be raping peasants and stealing our jobs.....

Wild animals on wild land....it's a recipe for disaster, I tell you!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Sacha 03-06-2004 09:08 AM

Mole hunt

On 2/6/04 23:49, in article ,
"Stephen Howard" wrote:

snip
So, next question then.... what sort of kit do I need to take out the
following 'pests' that ( damn them ) roam around my woods and most of
Hants:

Moles
Rabbits
Badgers
Deer
Foxes
Pigeons
Rats
Squirrels
Anything looking vaguely like Bill Oddie...

I think that covers most of the *******s....wouldn't want anyone to
complain that nasty animals are popping out of my woods and
'ploughing' up the land...I mean, how DARE they!! Next thing you know
they'll be raping peasants and stealing our jobs.....

Wild animals on wild land....it's a recipe for disaster, I tell you!

If you've got your own woodland with all those in them, lucky you. ;-) And
speaking of which, does anyone know where Bill Oddie is filming or is it a
deadly secret until it's all over? He says Devon but that's it.

Kay Easton 03-06-2004 09:10 AM

Mole hunt

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2/6/04 22:43, in article , "Kay
Easton" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

If Stephen is happy to have his woods ploughed up by moles that's very nice
for all of them. Of course, at some point his woods must have a boundary -
and Moley might not be content to remain within it........

Well, that's equally true if Stephen just decides to leave them be. Or
are you suggesting everyone has a duty to eradicate moles in case they
move out of their own garden into someone else's?

I think that everyone has a duty NOT to move moles off their own land and
onto someone else's.

Yeah, but that wasn't what I asked! I was asking about your comment that
the moles might not confine themselves to Stephen's woods on his own
land.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 03-06-2004 09:10 AM

Mole hunt

On 3/6/04 8:40, in article , "Kay
Easton" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

snip

I think that everyone has a duty NOT to move moles off their own land and
onto someone else's.

Yeah, but that wasn't what I asked! I was asking about your comment that
the moles might not confine themselves to Stephen's woods on his own
land.

If he doesn't want them in his garden and isn't going to risk them going to
someone else's garden, he has to trap them, I suppose. We put up with ours
for as long as we can and then we trap them. We're surrounded by fields so
keeping them out isn't a hope and for some reason, they particularly like
the neighbouring churchyard. In the past, and in other gardens, I've had to
get 'the mole man' in who puts down strychnine worms but that has been used
only when things were very bad.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Jane Ransom 03-06-2004 01:07 PM

Mole hunt

In article , Stephen Howard
writes
If Stephen is happy to have his woods ploughed up by moles that's very nice
for all of them. Of course, at some point his woods must have a boundary -
and Moley might not be content to remain within it........

In which case your solution appears to be...

Kill them!! Kill them allllllllllllllaahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hang on a minute.
Why are you up in the boughs all of a sudden?
You are the one who said:

What're the chances that it'll just bugger off with all the digging
that's going on?
It's unlikely I'll be able to set a trap - the soil is much too
friable

You are the one who said:

I was all for setting a trap, and even went to the garden centre at
the weekend to buy one..

You are the one who said:

Current sco Mole 1 - Me 0. Seconds away... round two!

I thought you wanted to get rid of moles . . . .
I now learn that you don't . . . .
I am confused :((((((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Stephen Howard 03-06-2004 01:09 PM

Mole hunt

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:06:25 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

You are the one who said:

I was all for setting a trap, and even went to the garden centre at
the weekend to buy one..

Indeed - and I also said "but the kids took one look at it and
complained."
In other words - I stopped and thought about my actions.
OK, so the kids probably complained on the basis that, to them, the
mole is a nice little furry creature. Nevertheless, it caused me to
pause and reconsider my stance.
I'm glad I did.

You are the one who said:

Current sco Mole 1 - Me 0. Seconds away... round two!

Not really sure what your point is regarding this comment - I was
neatly outflanked by the mole's allies ( the kids ), hence 'Mole 1".
Next round is the bucket trap round, where the contestant gets to
place buckets under the run in the hope that the mole will drop into
one of them.

I thought you wanted to get rid of moles . . . .
I now learn that you don't . . . .
I am confused :((((((((((

Hmm, yes, you do seem to be.

Here's what you wrote earlier:

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:04:17 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

I'm giving the mole the benefit of the doubt - I'll try to catch it
and release it in the woods.

Apart from the fact that that is illegal, don't you think you are being
rather selfish by passing your problem on to someone else?

I think the intention was clear - that I planned to attempt to catch
the mole alive and release it into the woods.

Speaking of which - any update for us on your assertion that such a
practice would be illegal?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Janet Baraclough.. 03-06-2004 01:10 PM

Mole hunt

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:
(snip)
wouldn't want anyone to
complain that nasty animals are popping out of my woods and
'ploughing' up the land...I mean, how DARE they!! Next thing you know
they'll be raping peasants and stealing our jobs.....

I read that as raping pheasants...omigod, next the rotters will be
robin worms :-(

As for stealing our jobs, birds have been stealing jobs from pesticide
companies for decades.

Wild animals on wild land....it's a recipe for disaster, I tell you!

Wild land, now there's another example of criminal abuse of the human
race. Rough mountains should be crushed flat, and twisted rivers filled
in, before they finish us off.

Janet.

Jaques d'Alltrades 03-06-2004 03:15 PM

Mole hunt

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

So, next question then.... what sort of kit do I need to take out the
following 'pests' that ( damn them ) roam around my woods and most of
Hants:

Moles

Piece of split cane with a knob on the top; trowel; moletraps; split canes.

Pigeons

(Beginner's kit) Good air rifle.
(Expert's kit) Several decoy pigeons; camouflage net; camp stool [9];
f.a.c.; pump or repeater shotgun; a bag of forked twigs for setting up
corpses as more decoys; big bag; big Thermos; Bag of sandwiches, pork
pie, water or soft drink, cake or similar; good book or difficult
crossword.

Rabbits
Rats
Squirrels

High power q/halogen parallel beam lamp; good air rifle with
night-capable 'scope.

Badgers
Deer
Foxes

f.a.c; ·243 HV rifle and night 'scope; q/halogen parallel beam lamp;
(injured) wabbit squeaker [35]; Lard Roller pick-up or similar; Rifle
rest on roof of cab; Someone to operate lamp; ear-defenders (two pairs
of).

Anything looking vaguely like Bill Oddie...

Sell you a pre-loved Challenger, Guv?

I think that covers most of the *******s....wouldn't want anyone to
complain that nasty animals are popping out of my woods and
'ploughing' up the land...I mean, how DARE they!! Next thing you know
they'll be raping peasants and stealing our jobs.....

Wild animals on wild land....it's a recipe for disaster, I tell you!

Nah: recipe for some fine game pies, casseroles etc. I recommend
eschewing the badgers and foxes though.

And as for Bill Oddie, you could try an old brent goose recipe [99].

[9] That is, a folding, canvas and steel contraption like a junior
deckchair, not a stool with an embroidered velvet cushion....
[35] assuming you can't make the noise without help
[99] Brent goose: pluck and draw your goose, and hang in a cool place
for four days.
Meanwhile, find two porous red bricks and wash them thoroughly. Dry them
out in the oven.

Make a marinade of: olive oil; burnt red wine; red wine vinegar;
tablespoon of mixed whole peppercorns; teaspoon of allspice; two blades
of mace; whole nutmeg, grated; tablespoon of crushed juniper berries;
marjoram; sage; thyme; juice of a large orange; tablespoon of molasses
or honey; tablespoon of redcurrant jelly.

Put in a saucepan and just bring to the boil. put hot bricks in a large
dish and pour marinade over bricks. Allow to cool, then cover, and leave
in a cool place.

After the goose has hung for four days, take it down and stuff it with
the bricks. Place goose in a big baking pan and baste with the remainder
of the marinade. Cover goose with four layers of greased brown paper,
and then with aluminium foil.

Place goose in oven on a very low heat: just below 100° C is ideal, and
leave the goose there until cooked. (Six days is not too long.)

Remove goose from oven.

Remove bricks.

Throw goose away, and eat bricks.

Jane Ransom 03-06-2004 04:19 PM

Mole hunt

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

Speaking of which - any update for us on your assertion that such a
practice would be illegal?

I beg your pardon, it is 'discouraged', not 'illegal'.

A mole is solitary and has its system of tunnels with which it is
totally familiar and which it defends fiercely. So if you catch it and
release it somewhere else, it causes it a great deal of trauma.
Additionally it will try to find somewhere to live. If it tries to take
over another mole's tunnel, they will fight and one or other will be
killed or very badly injured.

I knew there was a reason you should not catch and release a mole :(

If you are soft hearted, you just have to let moley be. Releasing it
into the wild is dooming it to death or disability at the hands of
another mole or death in a farmer's trap :(((((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Douglas 03-06-2004 05:06 PM

Mole hunt

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

When conducting your research into the legality of relocating moles,
please bear in mind that the woods I refer to are on my land.

Touché

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

********
Wot's a "foobar"?.
Doug.
*******

Stephen Howard 03-06-2004 05:08 PM

Mole hunt

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:32:25 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

Speaking of which - any update for us on your assertion that such a
practice would be illegal?

I beg your pardon, it is 'discouraged', not 'illegal'.

Fair enough. The nice man from DEFRA called to say that there was no
such legislation in force, and gave me a few helpful hints and tips.

A mole is solitary and has its system of tunnels with which it is
totally familiar and which it defends fiercely. So if you catch it and
release it somewhere else, it causes it a great deal of trauma.
Additionally it will try to find somewhere to live. If it tries to take
over another mole's tunnel, they will fight and one or other will be
killed or very badly injured.

I knew there was a reason you should not catch and release a mole :(

I'm not so convinced.
Plenty of people seem quick to point out ( with some glee! ) that
moley can dig at a rate of knots - so it can build a sizeable network
or 'fortress' in a very short space of time.
Certainly the advice given by DEFRA indicates that no-one's really
studied what happens when they're released into the wild - it's just
as likely it'll hit dirt digging.

If you are soft hearted, you just have to let moley be. Releasing it
into the wild is dooming it to death or disability at the hands of
another mole or death in a farmer's trap :(((((((((

I doubt it - as the man from DEFRA said, it's a creature that's built
to survive ( he thinks I'll be incredibly lucky to catch it alive )
and as resourceful in its environment as any rat...and just as hardy.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk