Old 30-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Stan The Man

Default Mole hunt

All I see is molehills but I've never seen a mole. Anyone know the best
time to go out on patrol?

Simon
Old 30-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Brian

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
All I see is molehills but I've never seen a mole. Anyone know the best
time to go out on patrol?

Simon

Moles probably/possibly never go walking. They are far too busy searching
for worms a few inches below the surface. They have eyes but these are quite
ineffective other than for recognising light and dark.
The only moles I've ever seen above ground were either dead or moribund,
other than the very few I managed to surprise and dig out~~and that requires
unlimited patience.
The only exception I've ever known was a few years ago, on very heavily
manured recently cultivated ground, when loud squeaking could be heard below
the surface. A pair of moles were dug out with one stroke of the spade and
continued to fight and roll about on the surface.
There was a witness, or I would have even doubted myself!!.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 31-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:47:43 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

[...]

Speaking of which, I've got a mole in veg patch!

What're the chances that it'll just bugger off with all the digging
that's going on?
It's unlikely I'll be able to set a trap - the soil is much too
friable with all the manure that's been added, so it's hard to dig out
a section of a run without the whole lot caving in.

What's the "Panel's" view on setting a 'honey trap' - a nice patch of
slightly compressed soil with a board placed over it which can be
lifted to expose a run?
Given that the mole has made a bee-line for every bed I've dug so far,
this might provide me with a means to catch the bleeder?

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 31-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Broadback

Brian wrote:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message

All I see is molehills but I've never seen a mole. Anyone know the best
time to go out on patrol?

Simon

Moles probably/possibly never go walking. They are far too busy searching
for worms a few inches below the surface.

SNIP

They must travel overground at times as they have appeared in a patch of
ground I have which is surrounded by deeply sunken walls, further more
the ground beneath the walls need a pneumatic drill to penetrate.
However rarely I suspect.

--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.
Old 31-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Brian

wrote:

[...]

Heavily manured, freshly worked, ground is paradise for both worms and
moles. There is no better 'come on'! As you say, runs are difficult to
locate and collapse too readily. However traps set in a collapsed run can
get results as they are not surprised by such cave-ins.
I dislike killing moles and so manure and till some weeks before planting~
by which time they have usually moved on. Another advantage of this process
is that we can 'flame off' the surface and get at weeds just germinating. It
works well but does need the space and time available.
We tend to ask for trouble, as the manuring [horse] is at 100 tons per
acre, applied early April/ May, for planting 14th June with a pH raised to
eight. This is for Anemones De Caen 2-3cms[circum.] They take two weeks to
emerge and the soil is again 'flamed' after the first week. Moles by then
tend to be little problem.
The next year, having ploughed in the Anemones, produces flowers and
vegetables of enviable quality.
I wouldn't be too bothered~~ they tend to disturb rather than destroy.
Best Wishes. Brian

Old 01-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:37:44 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

[...]

I too thought this mole would move on, it's been kicking around over
the winter. Unfortunately it seems to have realised it's onto a
winner, with its very own gourmet restaurant right outside its front
door.

Just on the offchance, last night I dug a trench across its run in the
border of the veg patch. I infilled with good soil and trampled it
down a little, then placed a large block of wood over the earth.
This morning I noticed a pile of earth by the wood, and on lifting it
up saw two neat runs!

The plan is to dig a hole under a run and insert a plastic lemonade
bottle with the top cut off. The theory is that moley will fall into
the bottle next time he goes out foraging - and I'll have him!

I was all for setting a trap, and even went to the garden centre at
the weekend to buy one...but the kids took one look at it and
complained. So I bought a mushroom kit by way of consolation.
I did notice a bottle of 'Organic mole repellent'. Ten quid though -
and I'm inclined to feel that if it worked it would only send moley
off to the neighbour's garden.

It's a fine line really - as you say, moley is more of an
inconvenience...though as it's an organic veg patch I'm rather
attached to my colony of earthworms!
I've found extensive runs around the roots of my newly planted beans
and courgettes etc... and gawd only knows what state the spud bed is
in. I have visions of roots suspended in mid tunnel - with me upstairs
watering away like mad and getting nowhere fast!.

I'm giving the mole the benefit of the doubt - I'll try to catch it
and release it in the woods.

The irony is, I wouldn't have minded it in the 'lawn' - I could well
use the extra drainage a system of tunnels would have provided, and
I've heard it said that the soil from molehills is excellent for
potting.

Current sco Mole 1 - Me 0. Seconds away... round two!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 PM
klara

In message , Stephen Howard
writes
Current sco Mole 1 - Me 0. Seconds away... round two!

The RHS recommends caper spurge, more or less on a the basis that it's
an old wives' tale but might work - but all I can say is, we used to
have massive runs, and ever since we have let some caper spurge mature
here and there, there hasn't been a single mole.

I have no idea where the caper spurge came from: it just was there in a
flower bed one day!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 01-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

I'm giving the mole the benefit of the doubt - I'll try to catch it
and release it in the woods.

Apart from the fact that that is illegal, don't you think you are being
rather selfish by passing your problem on to someone else?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from klara contains these words:
In message , Stephen Howard
writes
Current sco Mole 1 - Me 0. Seconds away... round two!

The RHS recommends caper spurge, more or less on a the basis that it's
an old wives' tale but might work - but all I can say is, we used to
have massive runs, and ever since we have let some caper spurge mature
here and there, there hasn't been a single mole.

I have no idea where the caper spurge came from: it just was there in a
flower bed one day!

My mother had caper spurges splurged all over the garden, and moles
splurged all under it.

Old wives' tale.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 01-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Tumbleweed

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Stephen Howard
writes

I'm giving the mole the benefit of the doubt - I'll try to catch it
and release it in the woods.

Apart from the fact that that is illegal, don't you think you are being
rather selfish by passing your problem on to someone else?

In what way would a mole in a wood be a problem to someone (other than the
mole, AFAIK they dont live in wooded areas do they?)

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 02-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:
"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Stephen Howard
writes

I'm giving the mole the benefit of the doubt - I'll try to catch it
and release it in the woods.

Apart from the fact that that is illegal, don't you think you are being
rather selfish by passing your problem on to someone else?

I don't think it is illegal to release moles. Rats, mice, foxes, grey
squirrels, yes.

In what way would a mole in a wood be a problem to someone (other than the
mole, AFAIK they dont live in wooded areas do they?)

Yes. Moles quite like woodland.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Rick

wrote:

[...]

You might try my method.

A mole just started investigating my lawn, so I went and bought one of
those ultrasonic repellor.

Result!!!

Mind you all I had to do was buy it, not take it out of the packet, or
heaven forbid actually put it in the garden.

So they do work, but just not in the way I expected

Old 02-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

In what way would a mole in a wood be a problem to someone (other than the
mole, AFAIK they dont live in wooded areas do they?)

Presumably someone owns the wood and doesn't want moles any more than
you do.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:04:17 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

I'm giving the mole the benefit of the doubt - I'll try to catch it
and release it in the woods.

Apart from the fact that that is illegal, don't you think you are being
rather selfish by passing your problem on to someone else?

Is it illegal? Please state your references. When I called DEFRA about
this they seemed a bit puzzled...the local rep is getting back to me -
but in the meantime the only reference I could find to the legality of
relocating trapped moles was a DEFRA publication that states that it's
'not recommended' - the reason given that there hasn't been any
research into what happens to relocated moles ( plenty of research
into ways of killing them though ).

Similarly the Mammal Society knew of no such legislation regarding
moles ( unlike that which applies to, say, grey squirrels ). In fact
they seemed to think it was an excellent idea - assuming I could catch
the mole in the first place.

Seems a bit odd that it's legal to kill them but not, supposedly, to
trap them and release them back into the wild given that they don't
pose a health risk to humans, nor are they particularly rampant in
their breeding habits.

As for the charge of being selfish - how does the decision not to kill
an animal who's only crime is that its foraging habits are
inconvenient come across as selfish?
Is it perhaps the case that you'd rather other people decimated
wildlife on your behalf so as to prevent your having to deal with it
at some point?

As regards releasing into the woods - how could this be construed as
passing the problem on to someone else?
Surely, if a wood doesn't have a comprehensive range of wildlife then
it's not really a wood - more like an untidy back garden.

When conducting your research into the legality of relocating moles,
please bear in mind that the woods I refer to are on my land.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Illegal Mink Hunt moves into Leconfield Estate Hunt Kennels Old Codger United Kingdom 0 08-02-2007 05:43 PM
Vicious attack by hunt staff and supporters leaves two hunt saboteursin hospital . Another HSA video camera bites the dust... Old Codger United Kingdom 0 02-02-2007 08:35 PM
David Hunt orchids femalestrom Orchids 15 31-05-2003 08:20 PM
David Hunt orchids V_coerulea Orchids 21 26-04-2003 10:08 PM
David Hunt Orchids? Reka Orchids 6 26-02-2003 04:15 AM