Old 04-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Neale

Default OT weird moth

I have had the most spectacular moth in my greenhouse - a vibrant bright
pink (cerise apparently) with a few black blotches. I'd love to know what it
is (or rather was - hence no photo), and whether my tomatoes were
threatened.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:50:04 +0100, Neale wrote:

I have had the most spectacular moth in my greenhouse - a vibrant bright
pink (cerise apparently) with a few black blotches. I'd love to know what it
is (or rather was - hence no photo), and whether my tomatoes were
threatened.

Could it have been any of these?
Ruby Tiger: http://www.leps.it/indexjs.htm?Speci...PhragFulig.htm
Red Underwing: http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?sid=24520

a 'longhorn' moth?: http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?id=2011

Scarlet Tiger(unlikely): http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?bf=2068
or Jersey Tiger(unlikely) : ttp://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?bf=2067

--
Tim
Old 04-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Neale" contains these words:

I have had the most spectacular moth in my greenhouse - a vibrant bright
pink (cerise apparently) with a few black blotches. I'd love to know what it
is (or rather was - hence no photo), and whether my tomatoes were
threatened.

Probably a ruby tiger if the black bits are on the hind wings, or
possibly a scarlet tiger or a garden tiger.

The caterpillars will eat almost anything. They are generally furry,
cuddly things. Just put them outside amongst something you want rid of
and they'll do the job for you.

Could be a cinnabar moth if the black was on the fore wings.

If it was hyooge, it was probably an elephant hawk moth, less likely, a
privet or convolvulus hawk moth.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/