Old 05-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Roger

Default Raised Patio

Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had fitted.
We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the intended
patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then lay slabs on top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Can anyone recommend the depth of foundations, thickness of the wall (dense
blocks) etc and can I use any of the soil removed for the foundations to
fill inside the raised walls.

Do I need to talk to Building Control or Planning.

Thanks
Roger

Old 05-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Roger wrote:
Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had fitted.
We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the intended
patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then lay slabs on top.

Remember to compact the rubble and hardcore, but otherwise that is
standard practice.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Can anyone recommend the depth of foundations, thickness of the wall (dense
blocks) etc and can I use any of the soil removed for the foundations to
fill inside the raised walls.

If you slant the wall slightly back, then the foundations need not
be very deep, but this is an area where you need an experienced
builder to advise. In most locations, you can use the soil, yes.

Do I need to talk to Building Control or Planning.

Not unless there are services that might be affected, but it would
be a good idea to get your plans checked out by someone experienced.
A few pints and/or used fivers to a local builder is one approach,
but asking your local authority Building Permission people might
work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Spider

Roger wrote in message
Hi All
I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had

fitted.
We don't want to use decking.

As far as I can work it out, I'll build a retaining wall around the

intended
patio area, fill it with rubble and crushed hardcore then lay slabs on

top.

It will need to be four or five feet high.

Can anyone recommend the depth of foundations, thickness of the wall

(dense
blocks) etc and can I use any of the soil removed for the foundations to
fill inside the raised walls.

Do I need to talk to Building Control or Planning.

Thanks
Roger

Roger,
Do make sure you don't bridge your damp proof course (dpc) or you may have
trouble in future. DPCs are built in as an important part of building regs,
so you might want to check with a builder.
Spider

Old 09-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Spider" writes:
| Roger wrote in message
| Hi All
| I want to raise our patio so it reaches up to the patio doors we had
| fitted.
| We don't want to use decking.
|
| Do make sure you don't bridge your damp proof course (dpc) or you may have
| trouble in future. DPCs are built in as an important part of building regs,
| so you might want to check with a builder.

A good point. And that applies even more if the house has suspended
floors - i.e. the vents must not be blocked. There are several
solutions, but they mustn't be forgotten.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Nick Maclaren