Old 09-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Ginger Gooner

Default Chilli Plants

--
I have some nice chilli plants growing in my green house, being a bit new to
gardening can anyone tell me if I should be doing anything to them other
than the obvious to ensure a good growth of chilli's? I.a. should i pinch
them out like tomatoes?

any help would be great

Kev

Old 09-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ginger Gooner wrote:

--
I have some nice chilli plants growing in my green house, being a bit new to
gardening can anyone tell me if I should be doing anything to them other
than the obvious to ensure a good growth of chilli's? I.a. should i pinch
them out like tomatoes?

No. You can pinch them out if they start to get straggly, but their
fruits aren't heavy enough to need restricting. Give them all the
sun you can, feed them a bit with tomato feed (but it isn't all that
important), don't waterlog them, spray with soft soap or detergent
if they get aphids or red spider mite, and they are very little
hassle.

They make good house plants for a large, sunny windowsill, but are
prone to red spider mite in such circumstances. You can rotate them
in and out in the summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Gil2

Above advice all good. For the future, there are a huge variety of chilli
types - some, like Birds Eye types, make very pretty houseplants and there
are some which will even survive a British winter, like Tepins.

Have a look at http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk and see the varieties and
advice there. Not to mention a huge number of chilli fanatics websites e.g.

http://www.chileplants.com/
http://www.chilefoundry.co.uk/

They have terrific recipes and advice on what to do with the huge crop you
will get - chilli lollipops, chilli vodka and an infinite variety of sauces.

Gil

Old 09-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Bella

"Ginger Gooner" wrote in message:

I have some nice chilli plants growing in my green house, being a bit new

gardening can anyone tell me if I should be doing anything to them other
than the obvious to ensure a good growth of chilli's? I.a. should i pinch
them out like tomatoes?

any help would be great
---

Try searching: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.j.wood/ It contains a wealth
of very useful advice growing most chillies.

Bella