Old 09-06-2004, 05:27 PM
joe

Default sod it?

I've just 'dug-up' a small lawn to lay a paved path and circle. Now I'm
faced with the problem of what to do with the grass sods.

Most of them will fit face-down on the compost heap but there are a few left
over.

If I burry them grass side down, say a spade depth deep, or even lay them
face-down and cover them with new topsoil in a week or so, would the grass
grow through again?

Cheers Joe.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Sacha

On 6/6/04 11:00, in article ,
"joe" wrote:

I've just 'dug-up' a small lawn to lay a paved path and circle. Now I'm
faced with the problem of what to do with the grass sods.

Most of them will fit face-down on the compost heap but there are a few left
over.

If I burry them grass side down, say a spade depth deep, or even lay them
face-down and cover them with new topsoil in a week or so, would the grass
grow through again?

Cheers Joe.

Does anyone you know nearby want to patch up their lawn? ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Old 09-06-2004, 05:30 PM
joe

"Sacha" wrote

Does anyone you know nearby want to patch up their lawn? ;-)

Not that I know of Sacha.

Do you think I can burry the sods face down without the grass gowing through
later?

Thanks, Joe.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Sacha

On 6/6/04 11:39, in article ,
"joe" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Does anyone you know nearby want to patch up their lawn? ;-)

Not that I know of Sacha.

Do you think I can burry the sods face down without the grass gowing through
later?

I haven't done this myself but the received wisdom is that if you bury them
deeply enough, you can do that. And IIRC, 6" or a little more is "deep
enough".
I haven't seen this done with turves but I've often seen unwanted plants
outside a garden gate with a 'free, please help yourself' notice. I suppose
you could try that, having watered them well so they don't frazzle.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Harry12

"joe" wrote in message
. ..

Do you think I can burry the sods face down without the grass gowing

through
later?

Give the grass a quick spray over with gyphosate, leave for 48 hours, and
them turn them over to rot. End of problem.

Harry

Old 09-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Stan The Man

In article , joe
wrote:

I've just 'dug-up' a small lawn to lay a paved path and circle. Now I'm
faced with the problem of what to do with the grass sods.

Most of them will fit face-down on the compost heap but there are a few left
over.

If I burry them grass side down, say a spade depth deep, or even lay them
face-down and cover them with new topsoil in a week or so, would the grass
grow through again?

Cheers Joe.

In Alan T's second series of How To Be A Gardener, he created an
edge-cum-linerhider for a new pond by digging up the grass turves
(approx 3in thick) around the perimeter and turning them over. He
didn't add anything on top.

Simon
Old 09-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Brian

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 6/6/04 11:00, in article ,
"joe" wrote:

I've just 'dug-up' a small lawn to lay a paved path and circle. Now I'm
faced with the problem of what to do with the grass sods.

Most of them will fit face-down on the compost heap but there are a few

left
over.

If I burry them grass side down, say a spade depth deep, or even lay

them
face-down and cover them with new topsoil in a week or so, would the

grass
grow through again?

Cheers Joe.
-------------------------

Ploughing grassland is just an inversion of the turf. None regrows
other than Couch and Docks. Also, a simple stack quickly rots and makes
fine potting soil.
Brian.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:00:15 +0100, "joe"
wrote:

I've just 'dug-up' a small lawn to lay a paved path and circle. Now I'm
faced with the problem of what to do with the grass sods.

Most of them will fit face-down on the compost heap but there are a few left
over.

Make a pile of them, face down, and plant a couple of courgette plants
on the top. A neighbour did this successfully.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-06-2004, 05:40 PM
joe

Thanks for all your advice folks. I'll give them a spray with gyphosate,
leave for 48 hours, turn them over, burry them at least 6 inches deep and if
a lawn springs through my newly planted garden I'll tip my hat to nature.

Regards Joe.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
joe wrote:
Thanks for all your advice folks. I'll give them a spray with gyphosate,
leave for 48 hours, turn them over, burry them at least 6 inches deep and if
a lawn springs through my newly planted garden I'll tip my hat to nature.

Unless they are riddled with couch, skip the glyphosate. Upside down
and 2" of soil will prevent almost all grasses regrowing. Upside
down and 12" will stop even couch and ground elder.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:44 PM
flower faerie

joe wrote:
Thanks for all your advice folks. I'll give them a spray with gyphosate,
leave for 48 hours, turn them over, burry them at least 6 inches deep and if
a lawn springs through my newly planted garden I'll tip my hat to nature.

I would leave out the gyphosate, I turned of earth with grass to a depth
of approx 6" and it didn't grow through.

IMO chemicals are to be used as last resort not first choice

ff.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:14 PM
joe

I would leave out the gyphosate, I turned of earth with grass to a depth
of approx 6" and it didn't grow through.

IMO chemicals are to be used as last resort not first choice

Okay - I'm converted. I'll just burry the sods upside down, at least a foot
deep and see how we go.

Thanks again to all of you, Joe

Old 09-06-2004, 06:35 PM
David Hill

What a lot of fuss.......all you do is to build a turf wall with the turf
face down, this can be used for many things or just to let the grass die
off. you will get a bit of growth from the outside half inch but if you let
it alone for about 8 weeks you can then cut the wall back with a spade about
an inch and put the trimmings in your compost heap (Buried) after a year you
will gave first class loam for potting compost.
This was the way that loam was produced for many many years and it grew
great plants.
No need fro chemicals or the hard work of digging a trench or anything.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-06-2004, 06:39 PM
BridgeP

Hi All

Subject: sod it?
From: "joe"
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:00:15 +0100

I've just 'dug-up' a small lawn to lay a paved path and circle. Now I'm
faced with the problem of what to do with the grass sods.

Most of them will fit face-down on the compost heap but there are a few left
over.

Personally, I would stack them grass to grass, soil to soil, in alternate
layers.

If I burry them grass side down, say a spade depth deep, or even lay them
face-down and cover them with new topsoil in a week or so, would the grass
grow through again?

Cheers Joe.

In the past I have laid them face down and treated the edges where the grass
shows with Roundup.

Peter Bridge

Old 09-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Douglas

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 6/6/04 11:39, in article ,
"joe" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

********
Isn't it a shame that old, properly-done customs have fallen by the wayside
due to laziness of body and mind.
It was always the custom, - before the rape of the peat beds began, - (for
money, of course), - for gardeners and especially Nurserymen to make their
own loam for seedlings and potting-on.
They dug grass sods - usually from a field, - about inches thick, squared
them off very roughly and stacked them up to about hip or shoulder height
and left them to weather for no less than a year, My Dad and I used to
have three at time stacked. The one-year-old ones did not do too well,
that's why we built three stacks, joined together to make one long one but
the division between the three was obvious because the one just used and
replaced was just built and looked clean and new, it had no surface growth
on it.
They were stood in line in a sunny corner and we used the three-year old
one. The outside of the stacks gradually grew a grass coat each but as the
third one came into use it, the grass was skived off and put into the first
one to recycle and rot.. Simple!, - isn't it?. Everything happened more
slowly in those days.
The stacks when brought into use produced an excellent friable loam ideal
for seedlings and potting. all the weeds and their seeds in the middle of
the stacks had, usually, rotted.
The last Nurseryman I saw using the method had succumbed to the peat fad and
used it in various percentage mixes to suit the particular job in hand.
Doug.
*******

Just put down 10 pallets of Tiff Sod, what do I do now? Route Man Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
when to sod st augustine Randy Marsh Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
grass sod question? jeffrey Gardening 0 28-03-2003 05:44 PM
Sod Lifter Astro Obs Texas 2 05-03-2003 08:18 PM
Time to set out St. Augustine sod? Sam Texas 1 23-02-2003 10:49 PM