Old 11-06-2004, 09:40 AM
pronoun

Default "Winston" potato

My first earlies seem to be growing well, but a friend has cropped his
(since they flowered). He was very dissapointed. by the tuber growth. It
has been dry here in South Wales, so I have been watering mine
occasionally--they have not yet flowered. I suspect his may have been
distressed by the drought, and flowered prematurely. Has anyone any
experience with this variety?

Old 11-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Brian

"pronoun" wrote in message
news
My first earlies seem to be growing well, but a friend has cropped his
(since they flowered). He was very dissapointed. by the tuber growth. It
has been dry here in South Wales, so I have been watering mine
occasionally--they have not yet flowered. I suspect his may have been
distressed by the drought, and flowered prematurely. Has anyone any
experience with this variety?
All early potatoes should be 'tested' before 'cropping'. Dig them when
there is a worthwhile crop available, rather than after flowering or passage
of time. Gently search beside one of the plants to see if they are
ready~~this will do no harm. When the leaves start to wither then no further
increase will occur so they will be ready well before then.
Lift earlies as needed rather than all at once.
Brian