Old 11-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Mcploppy ©

Default Cats

Hi all,

First time posting here.....

I have built some troughs in my garden and planted them out yesterday.

Got up this morning popped outside to have a look at my handy work only to
find that a cat had been in one of the troughs dug it up and left a small
package to say it had been there.

How can I keep the cats out !!!

TIA
--
McPloppy ©

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me }
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
{ My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

Old 11-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Mcploppy © gregMYSHOEScrawfo
writes
Hi all,

First time posting here.....

I have built some troughs in my garden and planted them out yesterday.

Got up this morning popped outside to have a look at my handy work only to
find that a cat had been in one of the troughs dug it up and left a small
package to say it had been there.

How can I keep the cats out !!!

In this group, some topics appear with monotonous regularity.
This is one of them. When a topic comes up frequently like this one,
you will find that a lot of regular posters will not bother to
discuss it 'yet again'. They will just inwardly groan and pass on to
the next topic. Consequently, any current discussion the topic is
likely to be incomplete
But, do not despair
We have a faq (frequently asked question), covering the points made
in previous discussions.Our faqs can be found by following this link
www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/

Also, for the benefit of people new to this group, and to save them
from receiving replies which they may consider to be impolite, we have
a thread entitled:

'abc for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening'.

It is posted once a week and should appear on your newsreader.
Please read it. It will point you in the direction of:

1. our faqs (frequently asked questions)
2. our charter
3. netiquette and other bits and bobs

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Just Molly

"Mcploppy ©" wrote in message
Hi all,

First time posting here.....

I have built some troughs in my garden and planted them out yesterday.

Got up this morning popped outside to have a look at my handy work only to
find that a cat had been in one of the troughs dug it up and left a small
package to say it had been there.

How can I keep the cats out !!!

You can place mothballs in the troughs, or orange peel, or olbas oil or
buy some of the branded 'pet off' crystals etc.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Mcploppy ©

Just Molly bashed at the keyboard and said:

"Mcploppy ©" wrote in message
Hi all,

First time posting here.....

I have built some troughs in my garden and planted them out
yesterday.

Got up this morning popped outside to have a look at my handy work
only to find that a cat had been in one of the troughs dug it up and
left a small package to say it had been there.

How can I keep the cats out !!!

You can place mothballs in the troughs, or orange peel, or olbas oil
or buy some of the branded 'pet off' crystals etc.

Thanks for that ....

Where do u get mothballs from :-S

Old 11-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Harry12

Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Mcploppy ©

Harry12 bashed at the keyboard and said:

"Mcploppy ©"
Where do u get mothballs from :-S

Moths?

Ok where can u buy them from :-)

Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Spider

Mcploppy © wrote in message
Hi all,

First time posting here.....

I have built some troughs in my garden and planted them out yesterday.

Got up this morning popped outside to have a look at my handy work only to
find that a cat had been in one of the troughs dug it up and left a small
package to say it had been there.

How can I keep the cats out !!!

TIA
--
McPloppy ©

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me }
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
{ My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

Thompson & Morgan sell a "scaredy cat plant" correctly known as Coleus
Canina. It's odour is apparently intolerable to cats, rabbits and
presumably .. judging by the name .. dogs too.
Cats also hate the rue plant, Ruta graveolens, but be careful if you use it
as it has very irritant sap.
Spider

Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Mcploppy ©

Spider bashed at the keyboard and said:

Mcploppy © wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice :-)

Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Victoria Clare

"Just Molly" wrote in
:

"Mcploppy ©" wrote in message

Got up this morning popped outside to have a look at my handy work
only to find that a cat had been in one of the troughs dug it up and
left a small package to say it had been there.

You can place mothballs in the troughs, or orange peel, or olbas oil

In pots and troughs, planting small pyramids of twigs works well. 6-8
twigs maybe 6in tall, wire together at the top, plant bottom in compost -
spiky thing that is uncomfortable for cat bottoms, and makes a sort of
loose 'cage' for your plants to grow through/over.

With luck, you only need to discourage them for a bit - once the compost
has settled down and the plants grown up, it will be less attractive to
them, but once they're in the habit, it's harder to stop.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 11-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Caroline

Cats pay no attention to my ruta graveolens. They hate the coffee grinds
that I put on the soil though.
Caroline

Old 11-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Just Molly

"Mcploppy ©" wrote in message
Hi all,

First time posting here.....

I have built some troughs in my garden and planted them out
yesterday.

Got up this morning popped outside to have a look at my handy work
only to find that a cat had been in one of the troughs dug it up and
left a small package to say it had been there.

How can I keep the cats out !!!

You can place mothballs in the troughs, or orange peel, or olbas oil
or buy some of the branded 'pet off' crystals etc.

Thanks for that ....

Where do u get mothballs from :-S

Well first you catch yer moff, then with a pair of teeny tiny likkle
scissors you...........
or you go to somewhere like woolworf who I think does them.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Brian

"Mcploppy ©" wrote in message
Hi all,

First time posting here.....

I have built some troughs in my garden and planted them out
yesterday.

Got up this morning popped outside to have a look at my handy work
only to find that a cat had been in one of the troughs dug it up and
left a small package to say it had been there.

How can I keep the cats out !!!

You can place mothballs in the troughs, or orange peel, or olbas oil
or buy some of the branded 'pet off' crystals etc.

Thanks for that ....

Where do u get mothballs from :-S

Moths?

I didn't know that Moths could dance?!

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats julie manns United Kingdom 82 07-04-2003 07:56 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM