Old 12-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Alan Gabriel

Default Aponogeton seedlings

Might need a ponds newsgroup but as I'm already subscribed I thought I'd try
here first.

I bought an Aponogeton, for the pond, which flowered a couple of weeks ago.

Today I found 8 large seeds on the surface of the pond that had germinated.
They all had quite long roots at one end and grasslike leaves on the other,
one had a distinctive Aponogeton leaf.

It is a new pond so doesn't have enough silt at the bottom for them to root
so they have to be grown in baskets.

My book recommends using a watertight container with 2-3" layer of loam
under 4-6" of water and broadcast seeds.

As these seeds have already germinated, I don't know if the seeds naturally
sink, root, then grow to the surface or whether they germinate on the
surface, produce roots and then sink.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I carefully plant them in the loam or leave
them to their own devices?

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Alan Gabriel alan@ac-
gabriel.SQUIRRELfreeserve.co.uk writes

Anyone have any ideas? Should I carefully plant them in the loam or leave
them to their own devices?

Same thing happens here every year, but the seedlings don't seem to
'take' permanently so I would plant them up if I were you.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 13-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Alan Gabriel alan@ac-
gabriel.SQUIRRELfreeserve.co.uk writes

Anyone have any ideas? Should I carefully plant them in the loam or leave
them to their own devices?

Same thing happens here every year, but the seedlings don't seem to
'take' permanently so I would plant them up if I were you.

Thanks Jane. I planted them under 5" of water in loam in a plastic tank this
afternoon. I've
put the container in shade so it doesn't overheat.

They are still appearing in the pond.