Old 14-06-2004, 11:08 AM
griz

Default potatoes

Hi
I've just got an allotment a few weeks ago and I've spent the last three
weekends working furiously chopping weeds down, digging the ground,
removing as many perennial weeds roots as I can find.

I've made two raised beds using wood from pallets and managed to sow some
vegetables in one of them. The seeds have already come up - it's all very
exciting.

Anyway, a very friendly plot neighbour has offered me some surplus seed
potatoes - I know it's a bit late to plant them, but I just want to have a
go - I'm not bothered if the results are disappointing.

I've been reading about the no dig method at
http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/nd_spuds.htm
they say that you can use it as a method to clear ground of weeds and after
planting cover each row with a few inches of hay or old straw, then add
grass mowings.

As I have still got to dig 3/4 of the plot and it's slow backbraking work,
can I use this method in an area that hasn't been cleared of perennial weed
roots or am I just asking for trouble?

Also, I cannot get any hay/straw to use as mulch - I wondered if shredded
paper would do the trick - I can get that in large quantities...

Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Griz
Old 14-06-2004, 11:11 AM
martin

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:51:26 +0100, griz
wrote:

I've been reading about the no dig method at
http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/nd_spuds.htm
they say that you can use it as a method to clear ground of weeds and after
planting cover each row with a few inches of hay or old straw, then add
grass mowings.

As I have still got to dig 3/4 of the plot and it's slow backbraking work,

If that is a "no dig method" what is a "dig method"?

--
Martin