Old 26-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Rafal

Default Killing remaining tree roots

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Rafal
writes
Hi all.
My first time here. Never had a garden before.
During partitioning of the shared garden it was necessary to
remove two smallish trees to make room for the pathway.
Trees were cut down and the remaining stumps dig out
leaving holes in the ground size of 1.5 meters wide and 0.5meter deep.
Should the remaining roots be poisoned? If yes, how?

Depends whether or not the remaining roots show any signs of life. If in
doubt ammonium sulphamate sold as "rootout" should be OK. Handle with
care it isn't something you want to get on your skin. Alternaively
glyphosate any suckers that come up for a season or two.

The only information about killing roots I could find relates
to killing whole tree stumps.
Thanks in advance

Be sure to compact the soil well in the lower part of the hole or it
will sink within the year leaving your path uneven. It probably will do
this anyway.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Thank you very much for advice. I may sprinkle a bit of "rootout"
just in case

Thanks again

Rafal

Old 28-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Douglas

"Rafal" wrote in message

[...]

******
Way back, if you dropped a tree you were left with a biggish stump. If you
left it, it would be there for many years.
If the stump was protected from children and other folk you drilled it, -
(in autumn - when the sap was falling), - wide holes in the top and filled
them with sulphuric acid, then covered it to isolate the top from rain
dilution and prying fingers.
The trunk and root would gradually ossify after a year or three, then you
could smash it up to as deep as was comfortable for useful management of the
site. If the space was for immediate building there was nothing more to do
than get a couple of Navvies and give them a pick and spade and a woodsman's
long-handled axe apiece, with a gallon each of a good beerplus a roll of
Black Twist baccy for their clay pipes. I would srongly advise the amateur
to desist from tampering or having anything whatsoever to do with with
H2S04, (Sulphuric acid). The stuff is very dangerous to the human body.
The above is for information and warning only.
Doug.
******