Old 26-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Jeannie

Default Outdoor Tomatoes

I have been given several tomato plants which I have been assured are of the
outdoor rather than greenhouse variety. The are currently in a growbag at
the side of my shed and were planted there when the weather was more June
like, i.e. early last week. I haven't been to my allotment for a couple of
days due to the weather, but I initially thought that the rain might do them
good. As the weather hasn't appreciably improved since the last time I saw
the plants, I was wondering exactly how hardy outdoor tomatoes are.

Basically, due to the unseasonably cold weather and here in Notts it is
currently winter coat weather in my "nesh" opinion, would I be better to
bring them into the greenhouse or not. I've never had any dealings with
tomatoes before and am not sure how much of an English summer they can
stand.

Jeannie

---

Old 26-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:43:07 +0100, "Jeannie"
wrote:

Basically, due to the unseasonably cold weather and here in Notts it is
currently winter coat weather in my "nesh" opinion, would I be better to
bring them into the greenhouse or not. I've never had any dealings with
tomatoes before and am not sure how much of an English summer they can
stand.

Jeannie
As long as there is no FROST they will be OK, but the more warmth they
get (as opposed to baking sun) the quicker they will grow. Most
tomatoes can be grown outdoors, some variesties will do better than
others. You also need to ensure they never run short ot water, and
also feeding will help once you see the first fruit appearing. Use
tomato feed or home-made brew with nettles, comfrey etc.

You will also need to watch out for tomato/potato blight later in the
summer, around the end of August. You may be lucky but it has become
more prevalent in recent years.

If you have room in the greenhouse they would certainly produce fruit
sooner, but why not leave them as an experiment.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Bob Hobden

"Jeannie" wrote in message
[...]

Provided there is no frost you won't have much of a problem until towards
the end of summer, just as the fruit is ripening, when they may get struck
with Blight. We spray ours with Bordeaux Mixture as a preventative from
about the second week in August. (it washes off)
Out on the allotments, keep them well tied to their supports to avoid wind
damage, and the supports must be strong as a plant covered in fruit and wet
with rain is very heavy. We found a single cane was not enough and I now
make a strong "goalpost" type structure from metal and wood and tie the top
of canes to that.
As soon as the first truss has set start feeding with a tomato feed as
directed on the bottle, seaweed extract seems to work well too.
We think Toms grown outside in the ground have a better flavour, it's just
you don't get a crop 'till the end of summer, and it does depend on the
summer weather too.

The only time we have ever entered a competition we won "best plate of Toms"
against all comers for our outdoor grown Roma's.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 26-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Jeannie

wrote:

Basically, due to the unseasonably cold weather and here in Notts it is
currently winter coat weather in my "nesh" opinion, would I be better to
bring them into the greenhouse or not. I've never had any dealings with
tomatoes before and am not sure how much of an English summer they can
stand.

Jeannie
As long as there is no FROST they will be OK, but the more warmth they
get (as opposed to baking sun) the quicker they will grow. Most
tomatoes can be grown outdoors, some variesties will do better than
others. You also need to ensure they never run short ot water

This is definately not a problem at the moment!

and also feeding will help once you see the first fruit appearing. Use
tomato feed or home-made brew with nettles, comfrey etc.

My nettle brew (also know to the other allotment holders as "that stinking
barrel") is ready and has been used to good effect on all the other plants
in the alloment, the sweetcorn plants especially seem to grow taller
overnight when they have been fed with it. That would have been my next
question actually...whether the nettle brew would be OK for tomato plants
too!

You will also need to watch out for tomato/potato blight later in the
summer, around the end of August. You may be lucky but it has become
more prevalent in recent years.

I will look out for that. Thanks

If you have room in the greenhouse they would certainly produce fruit
sooner, but why not leave them as an experiment.

Pam in Bristol

Yes, they will be staying out now. All I really wanted to know was that
they wouldn't die outside due to the sudden drop in temperature and the
deluge of rain, so thanks for the info!

Jeannie

---