Old 26-06-2004, 11:33 AM
PERSONAL COMPUTERS \(J.C.SAMUEL\)

Default does anybody know what an 'AGRIPPA BAND' is made for ?

Sorry if I have the wrong forum to post this question to UK farmers, or
sheep farmers, but we don't have access here in Belgium (Brussels can't do
everything, as you might well know) to the specialized forum in British
farming, at least I don't know any.

I have found a strange objet, like a flat bottle in transparent glass, with
two necks, one on each side

It's about 20 cm wide and 7 cm high

It bears an inscription on the top, inscribed in the glass

THE AGRIPPA BAND

and, just under this : TEAT
WILL NOT
SLIP OFF

It's gratuated in OUNCES on one side (between 1 to 7)
and in TABLE SPOONS on the other side (between 1 to 15)

For this reason, I suppose it was used in UK
It's obviously old, certainly before WW2, maybe even before 1900

I supposed it could be in relation with milk farming, maybe ewe, not cows
(it's too little for cows)

Does anybody know for what purpose it was made, or any other forum where I
could post this request ?

j.c. samuel
Brussels

PS: please excuse my broken English

Old 26-06-2004, 11:47 AM
bigboard

PERSONAL COMPUTERS (J.C.SAMUEL) wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it might be for feeding orphaned or abandoned lambs. Two
necks would be handy for feeding twins!
Old 26-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Howard Neil

[...]

Try uk.business.agriculture

My guess is that it is for bottle feeding orphan lambs or calves but it
is a little before my time.

--
Howard Neil
Old 26-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "PERSONAL COMPUTERS \(J.C.SAMUEL\)"
contains these words:

I have found a strange objet, like a flat bottle in transparent glass, with
two necks, one on each side

I supposed it could be in relation with milk farming, maybe ewe, not cows
(it's too little for cows)

Does anybody know for what purpose it was made,

I've seen pictures of those two-ended bottles for feeding a (single)
human baby. The second teat could let in air, avoiding a vacuum as the
baby swallowed milk through the other one. If a vacuum built up, a weak
baby might be unable to suck against it, and a strong one might suck so
hard that the teat fell off, letting all the milk out.

I'm pretty certain it's nothing to do with agriculture; in my
experience even newborn bottlefed lambs take more than 7 ounces at a
single feed.

Janet.
Old 26-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Harry12

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "PERSONAL COMPUTERS \(J.C.SAMUEL\)"
contains these words:

I have found a strange objet, like a flat bottle in transparent glass,

with
two necks, one on each side

I supposed it could be in relation with milk farming, maybe ewe, not

cows
(it's too little for cows)

Does anybody know for what purpose it was made,

I've seen pictures of those two-ended bottles for feeding a (single)
human baby. The second teat could let in air, avoiding a vacuum as the
baby swallowed milk through the other one. If a vacuum built up, a weak
baby might be unable to suck against it, and a strong one might suck so
hard that the teat fell off, letting all the milk out.

If so, it's an odd name to choose for a baby feeder. ISTR that Agrippa was
the real name of King Herod, and he wasn't noted for kindness to babies!

Harry

Old 26-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Harry12

[...]

the real name of King Herod, and he wasn't exactly noted for kindness to
babies!

Harry

Old 26-06-2004, 11:49 AM
David Hill

You could try asking the baby bottle museum this question on

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Emma B

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:42:17 +0100
Janet Baraclough wrote:

[...]

You should have it checked out, some makes of old feeding bottle are quite rare, and people do collect them (hence they're worth something lol) As far as I know there are three types of old feeding bottle, one banana shaped, one that has a hole in the top
as well as the end and a 'submarine' bottle. I don't know the ins and outs of that, but they were for human use, not animal. An interesting find though..my garden has the wonders of an old mattress buried in it! I'd rather have your bottle!
Old 26-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Emma B

Also..if you check here http://www.babybottle-museum.co.uk/wanted.htm you can put up a free ad & pic to try to get some info on it!
Old 26-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Douglas

"bigboard" wrote in message
[...]

**********
I am old enough to have often used both types of the human baby and lamb
feeding bottles as described.
The farm lamb-feeding bottle was usually slightly larger than those used for
human babies.
They all had a soft rubber teat at each end but those were differently
shaped. The business end teat was longer and had a little hole in the end
to aid egress of the milk when the teat was sucked. The other end had a
smaller teat with no hole, so the idea that the bottles were for feeding
twins is amusing but incorrect. (:^) The smaller teat was an air pressure
equaliser and gradually shrank inwards when the baby sucked with gusto
thereby causing rarefaction of the air pressure inside, but it flopped
back again to its normal shape, refilled with air when the baby took its
little fat chops off the front teat in order to get its breath back.
They were quite common despite the fact that women in those days almost
always fed their offspring via the two Paps which in my day and my County,
(West Cumberland, now Cumbria), referred to those two big mid-upper turrets
on the female chest.
So, - since the bottle under discussion was found on farmland then my money
is on it's a feeding milk-bottle for lambs.
Doug.