Old 26-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Poppy

Default Datura Seedlings

I grew some Datura from seed earlier this year and they've reached about
10cm and seem to have stopped growing. The bottom leaves keep yellowing and
dropping off - I've tried watering more and I've tried watering less and it
seems to make no odds. When they are watered they get a weak solution of
seaweed feed in with it. Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

--Poppy

Old 26-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Martin Brown

In message k2gDc.66$%m5.56@newsfe4-gui, Poppy
writes
I grew some Datura from seed earlier this year and they've reached about
10cm and seem to have stopped growing. The bottom leaves keep yellowing and
dropping off - I've tried watering more and I've tried watering less and it
seems to make no odds. When they are watered they get a weak solution of
seaweed feed in with it. Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

Sounds like there isn't enough fertiliser to satisfy it so the lower
leaves are being used as plant food. Try Epsom salts as a foliar feed to
halt it.

They like warmth and plenty of very rich soil for lush growth with high
potash fertiliser to encourage flowering. Tomato feed is a pretty good
cheap choice. You will be amazed how big one can get in a year.

It is quite difficult to over pot them.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 27-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Bob Hobden

"Poppy" wrote in message ...
I grew some Datura from seed earlier this year and they've reached about
10cm and seem to have stopped growing. The bottom leaves keep yellowing

and
dropping off - I've tried watering more and I've tried watering less and

it
seems to make no odds. When they are watered they get a weak solution of
seaweed feed in with it. Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

Try repotting them in fresh compost and see what happens. Had the same with
some Hibiscus cuttings, they just stopped doing anything but a repot and
fresh compost and away they went again. The compost seemed to have broken
down, gone sour for some reason I don't understand, it hasn't happened to
other plants using the same compost.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid? Andy United Kingdom 4 31-03-2003 08:32 AM
Where can I find "datura" which was mentioned above? will Texas 0 07-02-2003 05:16 AM
What to do with my Datura? Andy United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 02:52 PM