Old 29-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Joanne

Default Ornamental Kale

Last year I grew ornamental kale from seed, but when I returned from my
summer holiday all the plants had been completely eaten by caterpillars, so
into the compost bin they all went.

I'd like to try again, but I'll be going on holiday again. So, can anyone
suggest how to keep the caterpillars off the plants?

Ornamental kale plants are quite expensive to buy (why is that?), so I'd
really like to grow my own.

Many thanks.

Old 30-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Brian

"Joanne" wrote in message
Last year I grew ornamental kale from seed, but when I returned from my
summer holiday all the plants had been completely eaten by caterpillars,

so
into the compost bin they all went.

I'd like to try again, but I'll be going on holiday again. So, can anyone
suggest how to keep the caterpillars off the plants?

Ornamental kale plants are quite expensive to buy (why is that?), so I'd
really like to grow my own.

Many thanks.

------------------------
The caterpillars came from the eggs of the Cabbage White butterfly.
If you can stop them laying eggs then there will be no caterpillars.
If you are going away for a couple of weeks you could try covering
with some very light muslin.
I grow nasturtiums nearby which they seem to prefer.
Look under the leaves for batches of eggs before you leave them.
Regards Brian.

Prolonging kale mypet Gardening 0 05-03-2004 04:15 AM
In praise of Jersey Kale Steve Harris United Kingdom 14 13-01-2004 02:35 PM
Sea Kale? Steve Harris United Kingdom 21 28-12-2003 05:43 PM
Transplanting Jersey Kale? Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 17-04-2003 09:20 PM
curly kale: recepies ne1? Derek Turner United Kingdom 6 12-12-2002 10:44 PM