Old 29-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Duncan Towers

Default Dodgy returf

OK OK - first things first. I shouldn't have gone with the cheapest
guy in the local paper, and yes I should have checked out references,
and yes I should've got it in writing...yadda yadda...I'm looking for
advice on how to get my garden out this mess, not a lesson on how to
deal with local traders.

We had a crappy back lawn - looked the Himalayas, topsoil was full of
stones, clover everywhere, so we decided to take the plunge and get
the thing returfed. Aint a huge backyard - 4x10m - and the 6 quotes
came bcck ranging from £380 - £800 to do what we asked which was
pretty straightfoward.
1. Lift the current turf,
2. Get rid of the stones in the topsoil
3. Level off the ground with new topsoil
4. Lay new turf
Fairly straightfoward and yes, we went for the cheapest.

Bugger turned up when I wasn't there and scarified the old lawn before
sprinkling a token amount of "topsoil" over it(for "topsoil" read
"aggregate") and laid the new turf.
2 weeks later the turf itself looks OK (it is green and grassy), but
it is still lumpy and uneven.

Is there any hope for my back yard or should I just cut my losses and
start afresh?
Old 29-06-2004, 09:04 PM
PK

Duncan Towers wrote:

Is there any hope for my back yard or should I just cut my losses and
start afresh?

Me thinks you have answered your own question!

My rule of thumb is to take the middle quote!

pk

Old 30-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Duncan Towers" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I should have thought that if the grass was healthy that a bit of decent
sieved top soil spread using a plank or similar would fill the hollows, so
long as they are not too deep the grass will grow up through, or you could
seed the patches to speed things up (you should however be aware that I have
the countries worst lawns so except my advice at your peril!!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-06-2004, 06:13 PM
NWalch

First the lession - pick the middle quote and dont pay them until your
satisfied!!

If the turfs only been down two weeks you could lift it (roll it into
the original strips), sort the soil out (dig/pick the stones out, add
top soil) and relay the turf.

You'll end up doing the job you've paid someone to do yourself but at
least it be right.

Whats the quality of the turf like.

Good luck.

Nick
Old 30-06-2004, 10:23 PM
tuin man

[...]

As has been suggested, lift it up since it's only 2 weeks old it may be
feasible to lift the turf etc.
Given the bit of dampness about is an advantage... but don't wait too long.
As for how you went about getting stung, I thought you did fine. You set out
your requirements and that's always a helpful.
So what that you took the cheapest price! When you shop for a cotton vest of
a certain colour and size + style, you get to compare like with like, so why
not get the cheapest, except if social conscience dictates a preference for
local suppliers. Pluming for the middle or most expensive quote suggests an
element of gamble and that's ridiculous to have to put up with.
It's more... why the hell did you pay for an alternative to specified
requirements , that puzzles me.
If you hadn't outlined those specific requirements, well then now... that
would be a different thing (-:

As for that you should have done this or that about gathering references,
that can turn out to be a disaster, especially when from a close
acquaintance who have themselves being stung but are too embarrassed to
admit it, or too down-spirited to protest through bad word of mouth.... Or
refs provided by contractor in league with another cowboy ... or 2 ..or 3...

Patrick

Old lawn and planning to returf...please help.. dubliner10 Lawns 3 21-07-2008 11:53 AM
There's something dodgy going on her... anonym_easynews_poster United Kingdom 1 10-11-2007 08:33 AM
Do I need to returf - dog urine Fat_Tulip Lawns 7 10-08-2007 12:42 PM
Gerberas are looking a bit dodgy?? Hematite United Kingdom 9 08-08-2004 08:12 PM
ID plant from my dodgy description? G. Able United Kingdom 10 06-04-2004 09:48 PM