Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Hematite

Default Gerberas are looking a bit dodgy??

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this forum and require some help immediately if not sooner. I was given a pot of Gerberas for my birthday in May and they have been doing fairly well until lately.

Before I go any further I must tell you that they are being tended to indoors and will continue to be since I don't have any outdoor space. I have North West exposure and gets the most sunlight as the Sun moves west.

I want to keep them, but the leaves have powdery spots on them and it looks like brown patches are to follow. Until now two red flowers have repeatly come through, but now there is a third. I have a feeling I should re-pot them, but I would like to get opinions before doing so. I want to do it this week, so please could anyone offer up some advice.

Many thanks,

Hematite
Old 07-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Hematite

Talking

Can anyone suggest anything that will help, or am I just wasting my time here?

I would appreciate a reply or two, or three, or four etc.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Kate Morgan

--
Hematite

Sorry I cannot help you much as I dont get on with Gerberas, I like
them but they dont last very long, I have noticed that they dont like
being in sunlight
kate
Old 08-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Dave Poole

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 08:08:53 GMT, Kate Morgan
wrote:

Can anyone suggest anything that will help, or am I just wasting my time
here? I would appreciate a reply or two, or three, or four etc.

Sorry I cannot help you much as I dont get on with Gerberas, I like
them but they dont last very long, I have noticed that they dont like
being in sunlight

Gerberas are South African 'daisies' that revel in full sun or the
brightest light possible. They prefer a rich, loam-based compost and
even the shorter 'pot plant' hybrids rarely do well indoors for very
long. Ideally they should be grown out of doors in summer or kept in
a sunny, airy greenhouse. Most of the plants grown for the pot plant
trade are potted into soil-less compost, which runs out of nutrient
value after a few months. Unless this is replaced, the nutrient loss
cannot be properly supplemented with liquid feeds. Gerberas tend to
fall into the temporary pot plant category since they rarely succeed
indoors unless on a sunny, well ventilated windowsill and repotted
into a more substantial compost.

Gerberas develop powdery mildew when under 'stress' and this exhibits
as white powdery spots which may or may not coalesce before the leaf
browns and dies. Lack of freely moving air, erratic watering, poor
light and nutrient deficiencies can all cause powdery mildew to
develop. Although you can occasionally keep it partially under
control with a fungicidal spray, the only way you will effectively
prevent it is to avoid conditions that stress the plant.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 08-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Kay

In article , Hematite
writes

Can anyone suggest anything that will help, or am I just wasting my time
here?

Your time is *that* valuable that asking a question is a major waste?
;-)

I would appreciate a reply or two, or three, or four etc.

You may not be aware, since you have posted through garden banter, that
you have found your way into a newsgroup, which is a group of gardeners
and other chatting about gardening. We are not a professional advice
bureau. Although some on the group are very knowledgeable about some
topics, we may not have anyone who knows about gerberas, or we may have
someone who does, but is doing something else this weekend. There's
nothing personal in the lack of replies.

FWIW, repotting a sick plant is usually a bad idea. Rather like forcing
a banquet on someone with gastric flu.
--
Kay

Old 08-08-2004, 12:22 PM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Hematite
writes

[...]

I was going to reply to the original question but did not like the way a reply
was 'demanded'
The follow up is even worse !! OK, so we are a British group and perhaps a tad
too keen on manners, but a bit of politeness never hurt anyone !

Jenny

PS My Gerbera lives in the greenhouse and I've had it now for about 4
years............

Old 08-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"Hematite" wrote in message

Can anyone suggest anything that will help, or am I just wasting my

time
here?

With that attitude, probably the latter.

[snip]

Franz

Old 08-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
.. .

Can anyone suggest anything that will help, or am I just wasting

my time
here?

I would appreciate a reply or two, or three, or four etc.

--
Hematite

Sorry I cannot help you much as I dont get on with Gerberas, I like
them but they dont last very long, I have noticed that they dont

like
being in sunlight

Gerberas are South African wild plants. Every day, except for a
handful, is a fully sunny day there.

Franz

Old 08-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Hematite

To all that were offended I apologise, I was just a bit stressed about my flowers, I really don't want them to die, and to my surprise they have been thriving indoors until now. I really didn't get off to a good start did I? I hope you won't hold it against me should I decide to post again?

I am also English for the person, that assumed I wasn't, and I take gardening very seriously as I know most of you probably do. I just panicked that's all, albeit not very well.

To the people who made suggestions and gave information regarding my lovely daises, I thank you enormously. I too have been searching for further information to help me learn more about these flowers. I don't have a space outside to grow, so they're in a sunny window. I just hope they will last.

Many thanks,

Hematite

Old 08-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Kate Morgan

Can anyone suggest anything that will help, or am I just wasting my time
here?

I would appreciate a reply or two, or three, or four etc.

--
Hematite

Sorry I cannot help you much as I dont get on with Gerberas, I like
them but they dont last very long, I have noticed that they dont like
being in sunlight
kate

good job you did not take any notice of my answer I am obviously very
wrong :-)))

Save my Gerberas Hematite Gardening 0 31-07-2004 08:30 PM
Dodgy returf Duncan Towers United Kingdom 13 01-07-2004 08:14 AM
ID plant from my dodgy description? G. Able United Kingdom 10 06-04-2004 09:48 PM
Purple Leaves on Gerberas Luke Australia 0 08-08-2003 04:03 AM
Shopper's find! Geraniums & Gerberas laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 0 12-07-2003 03:20 AM