Old 30-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Aphids :-(

This is the worst year for black bean aphid that I can recall; they
are on EVERYTHING. And I have had to grub a good many of my French
beans as they have got virus, badly.

I saw a few ladybirds earlier in the year, but they seem to have
been eaten by the aphids.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
cheryl buxton

I have managed to clear the aphids off my climbing rose by pouring my
old washing up water over the plant. I use ecover natural washing up
liquid which is made of variuos plant extracts. The aphids are no
more.

I ve noticed there's more ladybirds around this year too
Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Bob Hobden

"gary davis" wrote after me

This is the worst year for black bean aphid that I can recall; they
are on EVERYTHING. And I have had to grub a good many of my French
beans as they have got virus, badly.

I saw a few ladybirds earlier in the year, but they seem to have
been eaten by the aphids.

Agree, first thing I noticed was our Hibiscus syriacus "Diana" covered

in
blackfly when I've not noticed one on it in any other year now the

Runner
Beans on the allotment are covered. Still Ladybirds about here, a big

one
even took a bite out of Sue last week.

LOL Now that is really funny!

Sue didn't think so I can assure you. Anyone else ever been bitten by one?

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Brian

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"gary davis" wrote after me

[...]

------------------

Ladybirds can and do bite~~quite lady-like! The bite stings and is
similar to a nettle.
They bite only when handled or squeezed.
Brian.

Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"gary davis" wrote after me
LOL Now that is really funny!

Sue didn't think so I can assure you. Anyone else ever been bitten by one?

Yes.

Many years ago there was a plague of ladybirds on the South coast, IIRC.

I remember watching the News and people were complaining about being bitten.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:03 PM
ellkebe

I have managed to clear the aphids off my climbing rose by pouring my
old washing up water over the plant. I use ecover natural washing up
liquid which is made of variuos plant extracts. The aphids are no
more.

I ve noticed there's more ladybirds around this year too

I've tried this several times - also with Ecover - but the they're still
there :-((
Ellkebe

aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 3 19-11-2003 06:12 AM
Aphids on hibiscus ame-ame Australia 5 24-04-2003 01:56 AM
Aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 2 26-02-2003 06:51 PM
aphids Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 10 25-02-2003 03:52 AM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM