Old 07-07-2004, 02:03 AM
code_wrong

Default rose bush very bushy with foliage .. no flowers

Shrub rose very bushy with foliage many buds but no flowers yet.
We are in the north east Scotland ... many other bushes have roses now.
Maybe we made a mistake when we chopped it back. after last season.
Actually the flowers were very late last season also some buds never made
it.
its growing so well .... but too many bud-less branches
A few branches have large number of buds
any ideas

Old 07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
twig

"code_wrong" wrote in message
Shrub rose very bushy with foliage many buds but no flowers yet.
We are in the north east Scotland ... many other bushes have roses now.
Maybe we made a mistake when we chopped it back. after last season.
Actually the flowers were very late last season also some buds never made
it.
its growing so well .... but too many bud-less branches
A few branches have large number of buds
any ideas

have you a name for it?

twiglet

Old 07-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"code_wrong" wrote in message
Shrub rose very bushy with foliage many buds but no flowers yet.
We are in the north east Scotland ... many other bushes have roses

now.
Maybe we made a mistake when we chopped it back. after last season.
Actually the flowers were very late last season also some buds never

made
it.
its growing so well .... but too many bud-less branches
A few branches have large number of buds
any ideas

Patience is a virtue.

Franz

Old 08-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Victoria Clare

"code_wrong" wrote in news:1089160747.1700.0@nnrp-t71-
01.news.uk.clara.net:

Shrub rose very bushy with foliage many buds but no flowers yet.
We are in the north east Scotland ... many other bushes have roses now.
Maybe we made a mistake when we chopped it back. after last season.
Actually the flowers were very late last season also some buds never made
it.
its growing so well .... but too many bud-less branches
A few branches have large number of buds
any ideas

Could it be the position? Is it getting as much sun as the other bushes
that are flowering now? Most roses aren't very shade-tolerant.

Some shrub roses only have one lot of blooms a year - if the other bushes
are hybrid tea roses, they usually have a much longer flowering season.

Shrub roses don't usually need a lot of pruning. I would try leaving it
untrimmed (or at least only trim off bits that are seriously in the way)
this year, and see if next year is better.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 08-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Kay

In article . 20,
Victoria Clare writes
[...]

They also flower on second year shoots - in the sense that they will
throw up good strong stems from the base, but the flowers don't come on
these stems, they come on sideshoots from these stems.. They'll carry on
flowering from then on, but if you pruned out all the long flowerless
stems you'd only be getting flowers on the older wood and you could
considerably reduce the flowering.
--
Kay