Old 07-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Graham Dixon

Default Hydrangea colour question

Last year I took a cutting from a Hydrangea in my late Father-in-Laws
garden. The plant was a beautiful specimen and alwways produced a wealth of
large deep-blue flowers.

My cutting rooted successfully and in spring I planted it in my garden. It
has produced one large flower that is bright pink. Is this usual or
something to do with the different soils in each garden. (Or maybe it's my
late Father-in-law having a last laugh)

Graham

Old 07-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Emrys Davies

'Graham',

Your type of problem has been discussed here before and the answers are
on this site. Hope it helps you.

http://tinyurl.com/2hn8d

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Graham Dixon" wrote in message
Last year I took a cutting from a Hydrangea in my late

Father-in-Laws
garden. The plant was a beautiful specimen and alwways produced a

wealth of
large deep-blue flowers.

My cutting rooted successfully and in spring I planted it in my

garden. It
has produced one large flower that is bright pink. Is this usual or
something to do with the different soils in each garden. (Or maybe

it's my
late Father-in-law having a last laugh)

Hydrangeas need a soil with a substanrial amout of a certain Iron ion
in order to produce blue flowers. Try using Squestrene or a similar
product. Ask your neighborhood garden centre what bluing agent for
hydrangeas he stocks.

Franz

Old 08-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Douglas

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Graham Dixon" wrote in message
Last year I took a cutting from a Hydrangea in my late

Father-in-Laws
garden. The plant was a beautiful specimen and alwways produced a

wealth of
large deep-blue flowers.

My cutting rooted successfully and in spring I planted it in my

garden. It
has produced one large flower that is bright pink. Is this usual or
something to do with the different soils in each garden. (Or maybe

it's my
late Father-in-law having a last laugh)

Hydrangeas need a soil with a substanrial amout of a certain Iron ion
in order to produce blue flowers. Try using Squestrene or a similar
product. Ask your neighborhood garden centre what bluing agent for
hydrangeas he stocks.

Franz

******
I struck thirty cuttings from a deep purple hydrangea growing in shade on
the side of a countryside wood. They all rooted . They all flowered pink.
On all of my hydrangeas I have tried packs of rusty nails, water from a big
jug with rusty nails in it, cast-iron window-sash weights, Sequestrene.
You name it I've tried it.
I have recently replanted them and filled each the hole with half a bag per
plant of Ericaceous compost, with only fairish success.
All the bushes flower according to what colour they were before , blue,
pink, red or white.
Dear mother its a bugger sell the pig and buy me out.
Doug.
******

Old 08-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Hydrangeas need a soil with a substanrial amout of a certain Iron ion
in order to produce blue flowers. Try using Squestrene or a similar
product. Ask your neighborhood garden centre what bluing agent for
hydrangeas he stocks.

And in order to make the link between Franz's answer and mine regarding
the pH - it is more difficult for plants to take up iron from an
alkaline soil, hence the blue flowers in acid soil and pink in alkaline.

--
Kay

Blue Hydrangea lost its colour KEPPY United Kingdom 9 12-10-2011 01:07 PM
Question about Roses Changing Colour gnats Roses 4 03-06-2003 05:08 AM
Hydrangea question Mvkehoe Gardening 3 15-05-2003 02:32 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Lawn colour question Bob H United Kingdom 5 16-01-2003 03:29 PM