Old 08-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Stuart

Default Giant Hogweed

Hello,

Does anyone know if local councils are responsible for the clearing of giant
hogweed? I've seen some huge clumps (forests in some cases!) beside roads,
railways and rivers in Stirling, and I was wondering if the council is being
negligent.

Regards,

Stuart

Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Malcolm

In article , Stuart
writes
Hello,

Does anyone know if local councils are responsible for the clearing of giant
hogweed? I've seen some huge clumps (forests in some cases!) beside roads,
railways and rivers in Stirling, and I was wondering if the council is being
negligent.

Only if it is growing on council- owned land.

See:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environ/weed...tm#responsible

--
Malcolm
Old 08-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Stuart" contains these words:

Hello,

Does anyone know if local councils are responsible for the clearing of giant
hogweed? I've seen some huge clumps (forests in some cases!) beside roads,
railways and rivers in Stirling, and I was wondering if the council is being
negligent.

Contact Technical Services at Stirling council and ask them; I always
found them extremely helpful and responsive. They used to poison the GH
on my neighbour's riverside land.

Janet.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Kay

In article , Malcolm
writes

In article , Stuart
writes
Hello,

Does anyone know if local councils are responsible for the clearing of giant
hogweed? I've seen some huge clumps (forests in some cases!) beside roads,
railways and rivers in Stirling, and I was wondering if the council is being
negligent.

Only if it is growing on council- owned land.

See:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environ/weed...tm#responsible

And presumably even the council is allowed to grow the stuff as long as
it is well controlled and not able to escape into the wild? (which,
admittedly, is difficult, and probably impossible in the situations
described above)
--
Kay

Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Malcolm

In article , Kay
writes
In article , Malcolm
writes

In article , Stuart
writes
Hello,

Does anyone know if local councils are responsible for the clearing of giant
hogweed? I've seen some huge clumps (forests in some cases!) beside roads,
railways and rivers in Stirling, and I was wondering if the council is being
negligent.

Only if it is growing on council- owned land.

See:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environ/weed...tm#responsible

And presumably even the council is allowed to grow the stuff as long as
it is well controlled and not able to escape into the wild? (which,
admittedly, is difficult, and probably impossible in the situations
described above)

Absolutely. We were in Moray the other week and we could follow the
lines of burns between the fields by the stands of hogweed all along
their sides.

--
Malcolm

Giant Hogweed - Some photos Stewart Robert Hinsley Plant Science 2 12-07-2004 09:50 PM
Giant Hogweed - Some photos Icarus Plant Science 1 11-07-2004 08:28 PM
Giant Hogweed - illegal weed? Kay Easton United Kingdom 2 04-11-2003 09:03 PM
Giant Hogweed Janice United Kingdom 4 06-07-2003 02:08 AM
Giant Hogweed HaaRoy United Kingdom 30 13-12-2002 06:14 PM