Old 10-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Martin Heames

Default Advice and thoughts please

Hi,
Please could you spare me a moment of your time?

My name is Martin Heames and I have been a full time gardener for nearly
twenty years and the last ten as head gardener. A couple of months ago I was
off work for three months, missing the gardens I started using the internet
to source information suppliers etc for future projects for when I get back
to work. Even though there are alot of fantastic gardening based sites out
there I was amazed at what it took to find these sites. so with this in mind
I started to build a gardening based directory to pass the hours stuck at
home and to improve my website knowledge.

Ok now to the piont, I have added about 1100 links to date and it is growing
every day (my target is 4000 by christmas ) but I feel I need some input
before I go any further.

I would like your thoughts and suggestions on the site good or bad please be
Honest I can take it :-) !!

Some parts of the site is not finished but will be done soon. The site is
not run for profit reasons (however I am affiliated with 'amazon' and
'google' to try and cover my costs)
Site owners can add there links free as long as it is gardening based.

Sorry about the long post but I did not want you guys to think I was just
trying to spam I wanted to explain to you that I am in this for the good of
gardening and gardeners online not the money. (although it would be nice
lol)

I will not place the url to the site here incase I break any spam rules so I
will just say do a google search
for "thegardenspider" and I am at the top of the search.

Before I go if there is a budding writer out there that wants to get some
gardening articles published or anyone who would like to help with the site
please drop me a line.

Thank you for your time and happy gardening,
Martin Heames
www.thegardenspider.com

PS is it me or is it a bad year for impatients? :-(

Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Broadback

Martin Heames wrote:
[...]

Had a very quick look, pleasantly easy to read, got an invite to be a
member, why not a summary of advantages at that point, assuming there
are. In the index would it be practical to have a "Chapter" on pests
and diseases, always a bugbear (pun intended). I have bookmarked it to
further explore when time allows.

Um "Will not place an url here" but you did, in your signature.

--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Martin Heames

"Broadback" wrote in message
Martin Heames wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your thoughts.
Regarding membership this is still in the process of being set up. it's
nowhere neer finished yet but you can gain a sneek preview if you follow
this url
http://www.thegardenspider.com/Topics+main.html

Basically members can post articles in many different topics. other members
can comment on your articles.
The articles would then be partially shown on the home page
automatically.This direct visitors to your articles and hopefully many
others.

Members have an option of placing a box on the home page where you can add
your favourite links (no one but the member will see the box)

I have many more ideas for the members but I am only one man trying to build
a very large site. It will take time but I will get there in the end.

Regarding pests and diseases thanks for the advice
there will be a topic dedicated to the little blighters in the articles
section (Feel free to add a post when it's up ;-))
I also added a pest and disease section under information resources in the
directory after your post, but have not had enough time to add any sites
yet. So if anyone knows of a good pest and desease information site please
submit it.

lol I only noticed I placed the url in my signature after I read it in my
inbox I can honestly say with my hand on my spade I did it out of habbit!!!
Sorry about that!

Anyway Thank you once again for your post A few more would have been nice,
but I learned alot from my stats and the way people navigate the site. Just
incase anyone is interested over 70% of you went straight to information
resources. ( I will have to Bulk up the links in that section)

I am away to tenby for the week (Hope the weather picks up!!) so if anyone
posts I will catch up when I get back

Best wishes and happy gardening
Martin Heames
www.thegardenspider.com

Old 14-07-2004, 01:40 PM
David Hill

"........ It lists very few garden centres in my area so there is still room
for improvement ........"

Ah!!!! But do they list Nurseries?

--
David Hill