Old 11-07-2004, 08:07 AM
JennyC

Default Pruning Rhodondendrons?

I have some very tatty rodo's in the garden that were here when we bought the
house. They are in a sunny position and are planted in VERY bad soil.

They are not large but I'd like to try to save them. I don't have any shade to
plant them in but thought that if I pruned them hard and improved the soil they
might pick up.

When would be the best time to do this? Autumn perhaps?

Jenny

Old 11-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 08:10:04 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

I have some very tatty rodo's in the garden that were here when we bought the
house. They are in a sunny position and are planted in VERY bad soil.

They are not large but I'd like to try to save them. I don't have any shade to
plant them in but thought that if I pruned them hard and improved the soil they
might pick up.

When would be the best time to do this? Autumn perhaps?

Jenny

The best time to prune them is after flowering, next spring, when
they're making new growth. If you do it in the autumn, they'll not
shoot until spring anyway, and may die back (or just die) over the
winter. Some rhodies will take hard pruning and come again from the
base but others just give up.

--
Chris

Old 11-07-2004, 11:03 PM
JennyC

"Chris Hogg" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:

I have some very tatty rodo's in the garden that were here when we bought the
house. They are in a sunny position and are planted in VERY bad soil.

They are not large but I'd like to try to save them. I don't have any shade

plant them in but thought that if I pruned them hard and improved the soil

they
might pick up.

When would be the best time to do this? Autumn perhaps?
Jenny

The best time to prune them is after flowering, next spring, when
they're making new growth. If you do it in the autumn, they'll not
shoot until spring anyway, and may die back (or just die) over the
winter. Some rhodies will take hard pruning and come again from the
base but others just give up.
Chris

I was afraid that was going to be the answer :~(

Jenny

[IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Brent Walston Bonsai 4 01-07-2004 11:02 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
Pruning Artemisia Polar Gardening 2 01-04-2003 05:56 AM
pruning questions rosemarie face Gardening 6 04-02-2003 07:50 AM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM