Old 14-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Stanley

Default nemesia deadheading

Its not that I don't like deadheading. It's quite therapeutic really. But
nemesias are another thing entirely. Does any know if they need doing...will
it significantly prolong flowering time? Please say no it's not worth it! (I
have window boxes and tubs full of them)

Sue, from Derby
--
Delete SPOILER to reply.

---

Old 14-07-2004, 12:25 PM

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:26:33 GMT, "Stanley"
wrote:

Its not that I don't like deadheading. It's quite therapeutic really. But
nemesias are another thing entirely. Does any know if they need doing...will
it significantly prolong flowering time? Please say no it's not worth it! (I
have window boxes and tubs full of them)

Sue, from Derby

Is this the plant with very pretty dolly mixture colours?
The ones I bought this year have lasted so long and looked so pretty
that I have been collecting the very tiny seeds for growing next year
and tidying them up at the same time. I always go off my hanging
baskets at this time of year as some plants start to look very tired
especially Surfinias but the one with the Nemesias and delicate
fuschias is the best.
Diana

Old 14-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Sacha

On 13/7/04 13:26, in article , "Stanley"
wrote:

Its not that I don't like deadheading. It's quite therapeutic really. But
nemesias are another thing entirely. Does any know if they need doing...will
it significantly prolong flowering time? Please say no it's not worth it! (I
have window boxes and tubs full of them)

Sue, I asked my husband about this (he bred a successful Nemesia some years
ago) and he says that if you cut them now, they might flower again - but NB
'might'. This is cutting back lightly, not pernickety dead heading of each
flower BTW!
Here in S. Devon we can over winter those in tubs in sheltered spots; in
California they do just as Ray has suggested (we saw it done) and get a
second flowering and then keep it over winter, too.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Sue

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 13/7/04 13:26, in article ,

"Stanley"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks,Sacha. We are on holiday for two weeks shortly so that would be a
good time to try the cutting back method.(The little passers-by will
probably grumble at the lack of flowers but we won't be there to hear
them ) In the past I have had the odd plant hang on beyond Summer but they
aren't very good at overwintering. Sometimes self-seeded plants appear in
the Spring if we're lucky.The one I am growing this year is Mr Fothergill's
"Butterscotch"....presumably not your husband's?? It looks good anyway.
By the way, I have tried various ideas for "BTW" ....forgive my ignorance
but what does it really stand for?!

Cheers,
Sue

---

Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Sue

Its not that I don't like deadheading. It's quite therapeutic really. But
nemesias are another thing entirely. Does any know if they need

doing...will
it significantly prolong flowering time? Please say no it's not worth it!

(I
have window boxes and tubs full of them)

Sue, from Derby

Is this the plant with very pretty dolly mixture colours?
The ones I bought this year have lasted so long and looked so pretty
that I have been collecting the very tiny seeds for growing next year
and tidying them up at the same time. I always go off my hanging
baskets at this time of year as some plants start to look very tired
especially Surfinias but the one with the Nemesias and delicate
fuschias is the best.
Diana

Hello Diana,

Yes nemesias can be dolly mixture colours. This year I am growing one in
shades of yellow. I looked at the seed packet this morning and it does
suggest deadheading to prolong flowering time.
"When all else fails, read the instructions"

Sue

---

Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Sacha

On 14/7/04 10:18, in article , "Sue"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip
Sue, I asked my husband about this (he bred a successful Nemesia some

years
ago) and he says that if you cut them now, they might flower again - but

NB
'might'. snipThe one I am growing this year is Mr Fothergill's

"Butterscotch"....presumably not your husband's?? It looks good anyway.
By the way, I have tried various ideas for "BTW" ....forgive my ignorance
but what does it really stand for?!

Ray's Nemesia is 'Bluebird' and it came out quite about 5 or 6 years ago.
BTW is By The Way. ;-)
Have a good holiday!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Nemesia e+d[_2_] Garden Photos 1 11-05-2009 04:38 PM
Growing "Nemesia" From Seed -Problem M United Kingdom 1 16-05-2006 08:50 PM
Nemesia Fruticans has no flowers Adam Schwartz Gardening 2 23-07-2003 08:42 PM
growing nemesia - Candy Girl Jay United Kingdom 1 14-06-2003 03:20 PM
Can nemesia be hardy? Caren Gardening 0 17-03-2003 01:56 PM