Old 14-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Douglas

Default Moving Astilbe

"Joanne" wrote in message
I have an astilbe that's hidden by a shrub (the shrub expanded quicker

than
anticipated). The astilbe's flowers are hidden, so can I dig up the

astilbe
and move it? I know it's not the right time of year to be moving

perennials
but it's a shame not to be able to see it.

Thanks.

************
With respect Ma-am,:
All the large cultivars, like smaller trees for instance, (not giant
Canadian pines! - tee=hee!) can be moved using the correct techniques.
However we are discussing a relatively smallish plant.
It is not advisable to move it when blooming but you can if it is necessary.
If it is very close to its intended new abode you dig a trench around it
leaving it sitting in a biggish lump. Judge the depth of the root system
and wrap a sack round it and tie it nicely to hold the clump together.
(That's why you dug the first trench around it - to get at it). Carefully
under cut it by sliding a spade under it.
Don't worry if you cut a minor root here or there. I'm talking about a
quite short distance
Dig a trench just slightly wider than and as deep as the clump, to the new
site. Two pairs of hands is handy to hold it all together so gently remove
the Racing Times, - and the lager can from the hands of, - and the ceegar
from the mouth of Himself , and , with a promise of buttered muffins for tea
both repair to the site to carefully slide the plant into the new position
both holding the clump together. No worries, I've done it often
If the site is distant, prepare the hole at the new site . This time use a
sack. With spade under the roots slide the sack edge under and enclose the
root clump
then both carry it to the new site. Need I go on?. except to advise in
Cumberland twang, - "Give the bu---er a bit a' watter!".
Best wishes.
Doug,

astilbe problem RosietheRiviter Gardening 0 08-06-2006 01:27 PM
astilbe [email protected] Gardening 0 25-06-2005 01:52 AM
Moving Astilbe Joanne United Kingdom 15 24-07-2004 03:02 PM
Astilbe seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-11-2003 10:02 PM
Astilbe and Penstemon Aileen Howard United Kingdom 6 19-05-2003 10:57 AM