Old 14-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Joanne

Default Moving Astilbe

I have an astilbe that's hidden by a shrub (the shrub expanded quicker than
anticipated). The astilbe's flowers are hidden, so can I dig up the astilbe
and move it? I know it's not the right time of year to be moving perennials
but it's a shame not to be able to see it.

Thanks.

Old 15-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Franz Heymann

"Joanne" wrote in message
I have an astilbe that's hidden by a shrub (the shrub expanded

quicker than
anticipated). The astilbe's flowers are hidden, so can I dig up the

astilbe
and move it? I know it's not the right time of year to be moving

perennials
but it's a shame not to be able to see it.

You would be wiser to just forgo this year's flowers and move the
astilbe some time between latwe autumn and early spring.

Franz

Old 21-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Douglas

"Douglas" wrote in message news:...

"Joanne" wrote in message
I have an astilbe that's hidden by a shrub (the shrub expanded quicker

than
anticipated). The astilbe's flowers are hidden, so can I dig up the

astilbe
and move it? I know it's not the right time of year to be moving

perennials
but it's a shame not to be able to see it.

Thanks.

************
With respect Ma-am,:
All the large cultivars, like smaller trees for instance, (not giant
Canadian pines! - tee=hee!) can be moved using the correct techniques.
However we are discussing a relatively smallish plant.
It is not advisable to move it when blooming but you can if it is

necessary.
If it is very close to its intended new abode you dig a trench around it
leaving it sitting in a biggish lump. Judge the depth of the root system
and wrap a sack round it and tie it nicely to hold the clump together.
(That's why you dug the first trench around it - to get at it).

Carefully
under cut it by sliding a spade under it.
Don't worry if you cut a minor root here or there. I'm talking about a
quite short distance
Dig a trench just slightly wider than and as deep as the clump, to the

new
site. Two pairs of hands is handy to hold it all together so gently

remove
the Racing Times, - and the lager can from the hands of, - and the ceegar
from the mouth of Himself , and , with a promise of buttered muffins for

tea
both repair to the site to carefully slide the plant into the new position
both holding the clump together. No worries, I've done it often
If the site is distant, prepare the hole at the new site . This time use

sack. With spade under the roots slide the sack edge under and enclose the
root clump
then both carry it to the new site. Need I go on?. except to advise in
Cumberland twang, - "Give the bu---er a bit a' watter!".
Best wishes.
Doug,

Old 21-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Douglas

"Joanne" wrote in message
[...]

***********************************
Investigation,:_
I have copied this page from my "Sent file". I sent it this post on the
13th of the 7th month but it
doesn't seem to be getting published in my uk.rec.gardening page when I
download afterwards.
One or two others have also gone astray, yet they are on my Sent list
Can anyone say what the problem is?. Does anyone else suffer from it?.
Anyone know how to cure it?.
It can't be that it has exhausted its stay time and gone off the bottom of
the page because it's still up there at 14th from the bottom of the list.

Another problem is that when I download e/mails it is OK because I have
introduced a Sound to tell me the end of the e/mail transmission reception,
but,....
I cannot find one in the Sound list which tells me it is for the finish of
the Newsgroup download.Has anyone any ideas?. I know how to get on to the
sounds apportioning page, - all I need is to find the word appropriate to
the Newsgroup download completion so that I can give it a sound. Actually
what I want is to find the words End Newsgroup.
I would appreciate any help; Many thanks in anticipation.
Doug.
**********************************
********************************

Old 22-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Sally Thompson

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:50:13 +0100, "Douglas"
wrote:

snip
With respect Ma-am,:
All the large cultivars, like smaller trees for instance, (not giant
Canadian pines! - tee=hee!) can be moved using the correct techniques.
However we are discussing a relatively smallish plant.
It is not advisable to move it when blooming but you can if it is

necessary.

snip
Investigation,:_
I have copied this page from my "Sent file". I sent it this post on the
13th of the 7th month but it
doesn't seem to be getting published in my uk.rec.gardening page when I
download afterwards.
One or two others have also gone astray, yet they are on my Sent list
Can anyone say what the problem is?. Does anyone else suffer from it?.
Anyone know how to cure it?.

Doug - I am not sure quite what your problem is (server problem
perhaps?) but I now have three copies of your original posting
including this one - one dated 13th and two dated 19th.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap

Old 23-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Douglas

wrote:

[...]

*********
Thank you, Sally!.
Your comment is helpful, because it tells me that my original post is being
sent out and being received out there, but its appearance back on my screen
is dodgy. All are appearing on my Sent list, though, so the Sending is
working OK.
It's a problem that when I connect again later, my own message sometimes
doesn't appear. I am beginning to think that in the first instance when I
connect to Send a message sometimes it closes down straight away and I get
the notice "No Connection".
I have a suspicion that the Americans are coming on line and the system is
getting grid-locked. I'll work on that, I'll Send at a time when they are
in bed and see what happens.
Thank you for your fruitful help.

P.S.! -- Ah!, ---- "Sally"!.

Good old Gracie Fields........!
"Sally!- Sally! - don't ever wander, - away from the alley , - and me,

When skies are blue, you're beguiling! , - when they are grey you're still
smiling, - smi-i-ling!
Sally!, Sally!, don't ever wander, - you're more than the whole world to
me!."

I've played that song a good few times!, but forgotten the second line
First to insert the missing second line wins an evening out with Bobby
Crush.

Take care, Sal!. - Best wishes to you and yours,
Doug.

Old 23-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Douglas

"Douglas" wrote in message

[...]

*************
Test, Please ignore
Friday 08-35hrs-23rd Feb 04.
About 02-00hrs Stateside.
Connecting and downloading approx every hour for return copy delay time..
Doug.
*************

Old 23-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Douglas

wrote:

[...]

Please ignore this Test.
09-50hrs, Friday, 23rd july 2004.
Investigation re. return of my own post to my station.
Doug.

Old 23-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Douglas

wrote:

[...]

Test successful. Both messages returned almost immediately.
Therefore congestion of the system, probably by Stateside users could be
causing interference with the return of some of my return posts. Which
probably explains why sometimes after connecting, it closed down immediately
with the message, 'No connection'
So I will send only when they are snoring in bed.
I thank Sal for her kindness, and everyone for their forbearance and help in
this frustrating matter.
Doug.
********

astilbe problem RosietheRiviter Gardening 0 08-06-2006 01:27 PM
astilbe [email protected] Gardening 0 25-06-2005 01:52 AM
Moving Astilbe Douglas United Kingdom 0 14-07-2004 12:26 PM
Astilbe seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-11-2003 10:02 PM
Astilbe and Penstemon Aileen Howard United Kingdom 6 19-05-2003 10:57 AM