Old 16-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Derek Moody

Default Pete Cr*p / BACKWARD BILL - No extra cash for animal welfare

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 06:11:23 +0100, "Hamish"
wrote:

"Hamish" wrote in message
.. .
Found on the good old AA website, what would we do without them?

No I didn't, just another name grab by no personality pete.

Pete who?

Please don't snip posts it is rude, and I was just reading that.

I specially love the sig about netiquette LOL

If you're going to troll please snip unnecessary crossp osts.

Found on the good old AA website, what would we do without them?

==========================

BACKWARD BILL
No extra cash for animal welfare
DEFRA published the new Animal Welfare Bill on Wednesday. While it
contains a number of positive measures, there are several serious
deficiencies.

There will be no additional government funding to ensure monitoring
and enforcement. Most of the burden will fall upon already-stretched
local authorities - while DEFRA acknowledges that the RSPCA will find
its workload increased.

On the plus side, penalties for cruelty to animals have been increased
as have powers of entry to premises where cruelty is suspected. The so
called 'duty of care' provision allows the authorities to take action
where an animal is likely to come to harm, rather than having to wait
until actual harm occurs.

However, the negative aspects of the bill are considerable. In
addition to a failure to commit extra resources, the Bill will
legalise one day fairs at which exotic animals, such as reptiles and
wild birds, are put on sale by itinerant traders.

-------------------------------

Government says no extra cash for 'historic' welfare bill
Statement on the new Animal Welfare Bill
While the new Animal Welfare Bill contains a number of positive
measures, there are several serious deficiencies. Not least of which,
is that there will be no additional government funding or manpower to
ensure monitoring and enforcement.

Most of the burden will fall upon already-stretched local authorities
- while DEFRA acknowledges that the RSPCA will find its workload
increased.

On the plus side are bans on the sale of pets to anyone under 16 years
of age, the current age limit being 12. Offering pets as prizes is
also prohibited. Penalties for cruelty to animals have been increased
to a maximum of 51 weeks or £20,000. Powers of entry to premises where
cruelty is suspected are also increased (although a warrant from a
magistrate is required to enter private premises). Most positive of
all is the so called 'duty of care' provision, which allows the
authorities to take action where an animal is likely to come to harm,
rather than having to wait until actual harm occurs.

The negative aspects of the bill are considerable. In addition to a
failure to commit extra resources, the Bill will legalise one day
fairs at which exotic animals, such as reptiles and wild birds, are
put on sale by itinerant traders. Such fairs are currently illegal,
although certain rogue councils permit them. The only protection
afforded such animals under the proposed measures will be a Code of
Practice modelled on the current, self-serving Guide drawn up by the
traders themselves. Reptiles and birds are particularly unsuited to a
life in captivity. On the basis of evidence gathered from bird and
reptile markets, there is overwhelming scientific and veterinary
opinion relating both to insurmountable animal welfare problems, and
also to potential public health hazards.

Currently, the rearing of pheasants for sport shooting is governed
only by a non-compulsory industry Code of Practice. The Bill intends
that this thoroughly inadequate code will be the only 'protection'
afforded the 20-30 million pheasants who are bred intensively every
year, principally so that they may be shot down for sport.

Notes to Editors

For further information contact Andrew Tyler on 01732 364546.

We have an ISDN line for broadcast quality interviews.

Animal Aid campaigns against all animal abuse, including one day bird
markets and reptile fairs, which DEFRA is planning to make legal.
Photo credit: EIA

Animal Aid has produced four reports exposing the pheasant shooting
and rearing industry. For more details plus undercover video click
here.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/pheasants/index.htm

www.animalaid.org.uk | site map | about us |

Animal Aid campaigns peacefully against all animal abuse, and
promotes a cruelty-free lifestyle. You can support our work by
joining, making a donation, or using our online shop. Contact Animal
Aid at The Old Chapel, Bradford Street, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1AW, UK,
tel +44 (0)1732 364546, fax +44 (0)1732 366533, email

SUPPORT ISRAEL

Myths & Facts Online
A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict
By Mitchell G. Bard

http://tinyurl.com/ysepr

+------------------------+
| NO PLONKING ZONE |
+------------------------+
| | |
| | | |
..| |.. .| |..
...\| |/.... \| |/..

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com

Cheerio,

*CASH*CASH*CASH* NeoOne Gardening 0 03-01-2005 10:50 AM
BACKWARD BILL - No extra cash for animal welfare Hamish United Kingdom 0 16-07-2004 05:19 AM
MAKE EXTRA CASH FAST tessa Roses 0 23-02-2004 02:24 PM
MAKE EXTRA CASH FAST tessa Roses 0 23-02-2004 02:05 PM
MAKE EXTRA CASH FAST tessa Roses 0 23-02-2004 02:05 PM