Old 16-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Peter Lavington

Default Chillis not so hot

I grew some chillis from seed this year. The originals were red chillis
bought from a supermarket and were fearsomely hot to eat. They have now
grown into nice plants with plenty of baby chillis. I've tasted a couple but
they just don't have any 'heat' in them at all. They are bright red and look
fully ripe to me. A few years ago I grew some from seed and they turned out
just as hot as the originals. What has gone wrong this time??

Old 16-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Kay

In article , Peter Lavington
writes
I grew some chillis from seed this year. The originals were red chillis
bought from a supermarket and were fearsomely hot to eat. They have now
grown into nice plants with plenty of baby chillis. I've tasted a couple but
they just don't have any 'heat' in them at all. They are bright red and look
fully ripe to me. A few years ago I grew some from seed and they turned out
just as hot as the originals. What has gone wrong this time??

1) Genetic variation - in the same way as you don't look like your
parent. Even species show some variation, but your chilli was probably a
hybrid of two or more species, and you were lucky the first time and
unlucky now.

2) Do chillis get hotter if they have less water when the fruits are
developing?
--
Kay

Old 16-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Bob Hobden

"Kay" wrote in reply to ...
Peter Lavington
who writes
[...]

I understood it was lack of water in the final couple of weeks that caused
Chillies to be mild tasting, certainly it was the cause of my neighbours
mild chillies that were fearsome with me (grown outside on the allotment).

--
Regards
Bob

Old 21-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Mike Lyle

"Peter Lavington" wrote in message ...
I grew some chillis from seed this year. The originals were red chillis
bought from a supermarket and were fearsomely hot to eat. They have now
grown into nice plants with plenty of baby chillis. I've tasted a couple but
they just don't have any 'heat' in them at all. They are bright red and look
fully ripe to me. A few years ago I grew some from seed and they turned out
just as hot as the originals. What has gone wrong this time??

I've had this, too, with seed a friend brought back from somewhere. I
think it's partly our climate, since the rule seems to be 'the hotter
the conditions, the hotter the chillis' whatever variety you choose;
but also, and maybe more significantly, that the varieties grown in
the tropics for the supermarkets just aren't selected for our
conditions.

I think people here have in the past mentioned that you can even get
varied results from the _same plants_: I don't know that I've had
that, but I have sometimes had them seemingly hotter from one plant
than another when they were grown side by side.

Mike.
Old 21-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Brian

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

___________
Had exactly the same results, growing them overseas, two years
ago~~in a very sunny climate. I had taken the seeds from a very hot sample.
I understood this was due to the F1 seeds used by the grower. Plants from a
packet gave results that were totally as expected and almost too hot!
Best Wishes Brian..

Old 21-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Matthew Durkin

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Chillis even from the same plant can vary in strength wildly as they 'ripen'
(not this is the right word for chillis)on the plant.
My other half's father gave us a handful last year that were "quite mild",
so mild in fact that he bit the end of one he had picked a week earlier and
ate it in front of us. When we got home I bit the end off one and got a
nasty shock. When we rang him he couldn't understand it, but on trying one
straight off the plant he found that they had got much hotter in the week
between picking the first few!

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM