Old 21-07-2004, 10:18 PM
compo

Default Runner Beans not setting

Runner beans do not grow very well in the far north of scotland so this
year I decided to try growing them in the polytunnel. The plants are
growing very well, in fact I'm not sure whether I should pinch out the
tops to stop them over-growing. My main problem is that the flowers are
not setting any beans. How do I ensure pollination?

Thanks in advance,

Compo in Caithness.
Old 21-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Douglas

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after:
| "compo" wrote in message
| Runner beans do not grow very well in the far north of scotland so

this
| year I decided to try growing them in the polytunnel. The plants

are
| growing very well, in fact I'm not sure whether I should pinch out

the
| tops to stop them over-growing. My main problem is that the

flowers
are
| not setting any beans. How do I ensure pollination?
|
| It would seem that by growing them in the tunnel you have separated

them
| from their pollinating insects. Can you open the tunnel up on fine

days?
| Alternatively, next year I would work out a removable covering to

allow
| pollination. Maybe a frame that can be fleeced over, something like

that.

Possibly. A more common cause is too little water or too dry an
atmosphere. They like reasonably high humidity and plenty of
water at the roots (but not waterlogging).

A lot of the older gardeners spray their Runners with water every evening,
and swear it helps setting.

--
Regards
Bob

********
Yup!. Spraying the flowers in enclosed situations has always been a typical
ploy for pollination.
Well-known to tomato growers.
My Dad used to gently hand-wiggle the tomato canes , ( to shake the pollen
about, he used to say.) once a day in the morning or evening, or tap them
with a small stick or cane. I always do that. Does it do any good?.
Dunno!, but except for disasters like when I was on holiday).
, a neighbour who used weedkiller by mistake and most others who forget to
turn up to water them on a belting hot day I find I am feeding fruit to the
multitudinous relatives who have gardens with the grass higher than the
windowsills.
Nemmind, -Eh!, - in the past those two warm, mind-calming greenhouses have
been a refuge in times of great stress.
Doug.
*******

Old 21-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Mike Lyle

"Douglas" wrote in message ...
[...]
Nemmind, -Eh!, - in the past those two warm, mind-calming greenhouses have
been a refuge in times of great stress.

One of my favourite out-of-the-train-window memories is of a
greenhouse with nothing at all in it except a man sitting in an
armchair, reading a newspaper.

Mike.
Old 22-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Douglas