Old 22-07-2004, 12:44 AM
Larry Stoter

Default Water Lillies not flowering

I'm still having problems with water lillies.

We have a 1/2 barrel with a pygmea - produces lots of leaf but hasn't
flowered for 2 years. Somewhat shaded but the plant is very vigorous.

Also, a large pond 3m x 5m and up to 1.5 m deep but in full sun. We put
in 2 lillies ~3 years ago, they flowered the first year and have done
very little since. One seems to have died. A couple of months ago, we
bought a third, which produced one flower but isn't exactly flourishing.

Any suggestions?

Should I take the plants out of the basket they come in and leave them
completely free?

--
Larry Stoter
Old 22-07-2004, 12:45 AM
PK

Larry Stoter wrote:
I'm still having problems with water lillies.

We have a 1/2 barrel with a pygmea - produces lots of leaf but
hasn't flowered for 2 years. Somewhat shaded but the plant is
very vigorous.

Also, a large pond 3m x 5m and up to 1.5 m deep but in full
sun. We put in 2 lillies ~3 years ago, they flowered the first
year and have done very little since. One seems to have died. A
couple of months ago, we bought a third, which produced one
flower but isn't exactly flourishing.

Water lillies are food and sun hungry.

Give the first more sun and the both a buried pellet of slow release
fertilizer.

pk

Old 22-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Cumberpach

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'm still having problems with water lillies.

We have a 1/2 barrel with a pygmea - produces lots of leaf but hasn't
flowered for 2 years. Somewhat shaded but the plant is very vigorous.

Also, a large pond 3m x 5m and up to 1.5 m deep but in full sun. We put
in 2 lillies ~3 years ago, they flowered the first year and have done
very little since. One seems to have died. A couple of months ago, we
bought a third, which produced one flower but isn't exactly flourishing.

Any suggestions?

Should I take the plants out of the basket they come in and leave them
completely free?

I have a small ornamental pond and last year the lilly didn't flower.
This year I removed most of the floating plant from the vicinity and it's
sent up it's first flower. Incidently, some lillies don't like water surface
disturbance - do you have a fountain or waterfall ?
I would keep the plant in the basket until it outgrows it.

Pete

Old 22-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Just Molly

"Cumberpach" wrote in message

[...]

I got some lilies given this spring. I just chucked them into the pond and
they are all flowering. I have pink, white and yellow flowers. The pond is
large and deep, in full sun (when we get some) and had a fountain.

Old 22-07-2004, 01:01 AM

"Just Molly" writes:

I got some lilies given this spring. I just chucked them into the pond and
they are all flowering. I have pink, white and yellow flowers. The pond is
large and deep, in full sun (when we get some) and had a fountain.

Any sign of flowers on the ones you got from me last year? I've got
plenty of leaf on the ones I kept, but no buds yet.

Anthony