Old 22-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Andrew Glass

Default Is this what I fear it is?

Potato blight?

http://www.stainless.pwp.blueyonder....ight/index.htm

I'm afraid it is, but I'd really appreciate confirmation before I chop
the lot down. Any other harmless potato diseases that look like this?

Cheers

Andrew
Old 22-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Robert

"Andrew Glass" wrote in message
: Potato blight?
:
: http://www.stainless.pwp.blueyonder....ight/index.htm
:
: I'm afraid it is, but I'd really appreciate confirmation before I chop
: the lot down. Any other harmless potato diseases that look like this?
:
: Cheers
:
: Andrew

Could be but it doesn't look like the blight I've had before which has far
bigger marks on the leaves and quickly leads to the collapse of most of the
soft foliage

Old 22-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Bob Hobden

"Andrew Glass" wrote in message
Potato blight?

http://www.stainless.pwp.blueyonder....ight/index.htm

I'm afraid it is, but I'd really appreciate confirmation before I chop
the lot down. Any other harmless potato diseases that look like this?

Yes and no.
Yes I think you have a case of Potato Early Blight and no it's not the THE
blight so don't worry. Does not normally cause any crop problems but ensure
you dig out all the spuds and dispose of all the hulms, leaves etc, do not
use them on the compost heap or leave them lying about on the soil or it
will reinfect next years crop.

What varieties are you growing?
--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:25:12 GMT, Andrew Glass
wrote:

Potato blight?

http://www.stainless.pwp.blueyonder....ight/index.htm

I'm afraid it is, but I'd really appreciate confirmation before I chop
the lot down. Any other harmless potato diseases that look like this?

Cheers

Andrew

As I recall, with blight the stems also go brown. Not sure about
those spots.
Advice from the HDRA Organic Gardens, visited last week, is to cut off
all tops to stop blight from going down to the potatoes, leave them in
the ground for a couple of weeks, then harvest. If you have removed
tops soon enough crop will be OK.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-07-2004, 08:08 AM
Bob Hobden

"Pam Moore" wrote after...
me:

Bordeaux Mixture (copper sulphate and lime) is a preventative and I use

it
as a matter of course on my outdoor grown Tomatoes to stop THE blight,
applied from about mid August. The books say Early blight isn't a problem
usually but if you want to remove infected bits and spray the rest with

BM
then OK, it does need reapplying after heavy rain. (I Wish!)

I tried Bordeaux mixture last year on my tomatoes, but it was so messy
and coated the fruits in a whitish-blue "frost" and needed thorough
washing. It only kept the blight at bay for a week or so, and then
the whole lot went, as in the last 4 years.
This year they will take their chance.
Famous last words?

I find it keeps it at bay except on the bush type "Roma" which seem very
susceptible, however as you have probably guessed we are in a dry spot so it
doesn't get washed off by rain much.
Try growing a resistant variety like "Ferline" next year, T & M do them.