Old 22-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Broadback

Default Who's eating my potatoes

This year a lot of my potatoes have been eaten much more than the usual
slug holes, up to 3/4 of the tuber is gone. Now this year I have been
infested by voles, they have "done for" all my caulies, and a lot of
cabbages, do they eat spuds as well (while in the ground).
TIA
--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 24-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Douglas

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
This year a lot of my potatoes have been eaten much more than the

usual
slug holes, up to 3/4 of the tuber is gone. Now this year I have

been
infested by voles, they have "done for" all my caulies, and a lot of
cabbages, do they eat spuds as well (while in the ground).

Ah, you have obviously been spraying and killed the voles natural

predators.
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

********
How do you spray Hawks and Kites?, Do you squirt them during the hover
or when they stoop?.
(....Only pulling your leg!,- for a joke!.)
As boys, my brother and I used to dig them (voles) out and sell them to
school
pals at a tanner apiece.
Unfortunately they always promptly perished and we learned soon the
first rule when opening a possibly lucrative business.
Don't sell to a lad if he is bigger than you!.
BTW. Any idea what are the natural predators of voles?. I pass.
Doug.
********

Old 24-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Paul Simonite

The message
from "Douglas" contains these words:

BTW. Any idea what are the natural predators of voles?. I pass.
Doug.

We live in the country and our cat is a wonder at catching (and eating)
rabbits and other rodents. Together with a feral cat, who lives in a
shed nearby, they keep rodent populations to a manageable level.
Buzzards and owls also add to the army of predators and pleasure of the
garden.

--
Cheers,
Compo