Old 31-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Dave Poole

Default Can you ID this plant please?

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:54:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I'd just like to tuck some into a corner of our garden and let Himself take
his chances. ;-) And thank you, in advance.

The good thing about Belamcanda is that you can sow the seed in early
February and have flowers in July. Admittedly the plants are rather
short in the first year (usually to around 1ft.or less), but you get a
fair splash of colour. Ultimately, expect them to grow to between 2
and 2.5 feet. (I've changed my thoughts upon the ID of the plant
shown by the OP - see last para.)

Belamcanda is a monotypic genus (just a single species) and is fairly
stable colour-wise, which means you can have any colour as long as its
orange. I first grew it well over 30 years ago and partnered it with
a creamy yellow form of Coreopsis verticillata. It was a very stylish
combination, which I would happily repeat if the little patch here
wasn't wholly given over to sub-tropical plants. I strongly urge
others to try it.

Belamcanda has been crossed with a related genus - Pardanthopsis
(dichotoma) to give x Pardancanda and the most commonly available
form is x P. norrissii or 'Candy Lilly'. This is larger and more
vigorous in every way with colours ranging from deep burgundy and
purple through to orange and yellow. It grows to hip high with good
2" wide flowers over a slightly longer period. Not wishing to
denigrate Belamcanda, but the hybrid is rather better IMO.

Having had a chance to think a bit more about it, I reckon the plant
in the pic is x P. norrissii, which means that seedlings from it are
likely to give a range of colours. All to the better I say.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 31-07-2004, 10:46 AM
cross

"
Leopard lily.
http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/9347/

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

----------------
Yes, that is it exactly ;-)

The other colours were one paler and less spotted, and the other darker with
more spots, so I was told.

I will go there on Monday and have a look-see.

Thanks again,
Marina

Old 05-08-2004, 11:11 AM
cross

Default Belamcanda X Pardanthopsis (Pardancanda) & Hej Vera!

"Dave Poole" wrote in message .

[...]

----------
Thanks for this Dave ............. I think that must be it ;-)

Had a look at the others. One is a pale shade of pink and peach, with 3
petals of each, alternating. I have now got one of those too. The others
were pale orange with dark pink stripes down the centre of the petals,
reminded me of a blood orange, both of those have no spots at all, and then
one dark orange with lots of maroon coloured spots.

The plants are also quite tall, 1 metre at least. Like a day lily, the
flowers only last for one day, opening when the sun reaches them, then
twirling up the petals in the evening.

Incidentally, there were several plants at the nursery which were not
flowering yet, so it will be interesting to see what they are like.

Sorry for not replying sooner, but have only just got your message due to
being tied up replacing a leaky bath and then tiling the ruined floor
:-( ........ not the best way to spend the hottest week of the year!

But.......... we are off to Sweden on Saturday for 10 days, it will be a
nice rest.

Is Vera still around, by the way?.......... Hej! Hur star det till?

Thanks again,
Marina
E. Sx