Old 02-08-2004, 11:26 AM
JKS

Default Bumper plum crop

I've got a bumper crop of Victoria plums on my tree this year. Some have
"ripened" but not swelled to the usual size and are uneatable. There are
also quite a few "siamese" ones which I've never noticed before.

John

---

Old 04-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Spider

JKS wrote in message
I've got a bumper crop of Victoria plums on my tree this year. Some have
"ripened" but not swelled to the usual size and are uneatable. There are
also quite a few "siamese" ones which I've never noticed before.

John

---

Hi John,
This sounds perfectly normal for a Victoria Plum. Until two years ago, we
had a great tree which fruited itself to death. It became too tall to thin
out the fruit and, despite attempts to support the branches, three major
branches snapped under the weight. Subsequently Silver Leaf Disease set in,
ergo no more tree. I am now waiting for a fan-trained Vic Plum to develop
before allowing it to fruit.

It may be that the smaller, inedible fruits were aborted by the tree to save
itself from over-cropping, but did not fall with the usual June drop. Just
a guess. Your most important concerns now are making sure there are no bad
fruit left on the tree and, next year, to support weighted branches to
prevent breakage and the onset of disease. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea
to give it a feed now with tomato fertiliser to 'thank' it for its efforts
and to replenish it's potassium reserves. This will also help to harden it
off for winter.

Spider

Old 04-08-2004, 02:59 PM
JKS

[...]

Thanks for the information.

I lost half the tree about 12 years ago due to a heavy crop and no supports.
I treated the bare wood and it survived ok. Plenty of supports and thinning
this year - I like unripe plums better than fully ripe ones.

Any ideas about the conjoined fruits?

John

---

Old 04-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Sarah Dale

JKS wrote:

Any ideas about the conjoined fruits?

John,

I've not seen cojoined plums myself, but my strawberries have done it for
the last two years on the older plants - not on the 1yr old plants, just
the 2 or 3 yr old plants.

On the stawberries, I think it is (for no clear reason) two fruits
developing from one flower and then growing as one.

I've had some splendidly wierd shapes this summer - the best seemed to be a
triplet and looked something like a blown up rubber glove with the wrist
tied, and very short digits. (IYSWIM!!! )

Sarah
Old 05-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Spider

JKS wrote in message

[...]

Being a twin myself, perhaps I should know more about the conjoined fruits.
However, I am not a conjoined twin, and my 'twinny' biology is not that
great. Sometimes, with fruit, it is simply that conjestion has made them
combine/share a common area of skin. I have seen this slowly happen .
I strongly suspect that more could be gleaned by learning if the twin fruits
share a stone or whether each half has its own. In human biology, a shared
seed results in identical twins. (Do your fruits finish each others'
sentences?! :~ )) ) Presumably, in fruit, this implies fertilisation of a
single flower? Not at all sure.

Sorry this isn't a lot of help. If you learn the answer to your question,
I'd be fascinated to know.
Regards,
Spider