Old 08-08-2004, 12:26 AM
richard green

Default Cyclamen

Hello there,
I have a beautiful white cyclamen which has flowered faithfully for several
years. This year, although healthy and flowering profusely, the flower
stalks are short, and the blooms just peep above the top of the foliage
instead of standing proud as usual, several inches above the greenery.
Any ideas?
t.i.a., Richard.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Rod

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:26:54 GMT, "richard green"
wrote:

Hello there,
I have a beautiful white cyclamen which has flowered faithfully for several
years. This year, although healthy and flowering profusely, the flower
stalks are short, and the blooms just peep above the top of the foliage
instead of standing proud as usual, several inches above the greenery.
Any ideas?
t.i.a., Richard.

You don't say if this is a hardy one or a pot grown indoor one. Either
way check if the leaves look and feel soft and wilty even though it's
well watered, if so look under the corm - you'll probably find vine
weevil grubs.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:26:54 GMT, richard green wrote:

I have a beautiful white cyclamen which has flowered faithfully for several
years. This year, although healthy and flowering profusely, the flower
stalks are short, and the blooms just peep above the top of the foliage
instead of standing proud as usual, several inches above the greenery.
Any ideas?

Could be caused by lack of adequate chilling during the winter.
Try keeping it in a colder room next winter.

Also avoid putting the pot in a window where the sun can get at
it and overheat the soil.

The basis of my remarks is the similar behavior of certain
montane species of erythronium; at sea level they simply don't
get adequate winter cold, and the scapes are similarly dwarfed
when they flower. Beautiful in the wild, a dead loss in the
garden.

Just a guess, you understand!

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 10-08-2004, 11:33 AM
richard green

tks for the replies, no grubs, but the plant did get a bit too much sun a
couple of months ago - I assume this was the cause of the poorer performance
this year.
cheers,
Richard.
"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
[...]

Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (1/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 01-03-2011 12:07 AM
Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (0/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 28-02-2011 11:55 PM
Cyclamen Notes paghat Gardening 3 15-03-2003 08:08 PM
Winter Flowering Cyclamen Peter Donovan United Kingdom 17 14-03-2003 08:53 AM
cyclamen Marley1372 Gardening 2 22-02-2003 09:15 AM