Old 08-08-2004, 04:32 PM
pete

Default Laying Paving Slabs

I am re laying an area about 8' x 4' with paving slabs and wondered
if it would be OK to lay landscape fabric underneath to surpress the
weeds . If so what is best - to lay it under the bedding sand or over
it i.e. directly under the slabs ? What is best for levelling etc. ?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Tumbleweed

"pete" wrote in message
I am re laying an area about 8' x 4' with paving slabs and wondered
if it would be OK to lay landscape fabric underneath to surpress the
weeds . If so what is best - to lay it under the bedding sand or over
it i.e. directly under the slabs ? What is best for levelling etc. ?

You'll find that a 1 inch thick piece of concrete (aka 'a slab') will be a
teeny bit more effective in suppressing weeds than a fabric! I know weeds
can be tough but I dont see them coming up through paving slabs! Its not
necessary at all, just make sure all the gaps between slabs are sealed with
mortar and the only weed problems (if any) you will have will be later if
there are any gaps and weed seeds *from above* land in them. [The fabric is
for laying under gravel].

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 08-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Broadback

Tumbleweed wrote:

"pete" wrote in message

I am re laying an area about 8' x 4' with paving slabs and wondered
if it would be OK to lay landscape fabric underneath to surpress the
weeds . If so what is best - to lay it under the bedding sand or over
it i.e. directly under the slabs ? What is best for levelling etc. ?

You'll find that a 1 inch thick piece of concrete (aka 'a slab') will be a
teeny bit more effective in suppressing weeds than a fabric! I know weeds
can be tough but I dont see them coming up through paving slabs! Its not
necessary at all, just make sure all the gaps between slabs are sealed with
mortar and the only weed problems (if any) you will have will be later if
there are any gaps and weed seeds *from above* land in them. [The fabric is
for laying under gravel].

Though that is very true Tumbleweed. As an aside years ago when I was
in the RAF there were actually weeds coming up through runways, and
cracking them. Figure it, I couldn't. Dandelions seemed to be favorite.

News flash, Boing 747 wrecked by dandelion. ;-)

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Troglodyte

"pete" wrote in message
I am re laying an area about 8' x 4' with paving slabs and wondered
if it would be OK to lay landscape fabric underneath to surpress the
weeds . If so what is best - to lay it under the bedding sand or over
it i.e. directly under the slabs ? What is best for levelling etc. ?

If you lay the slabs on a bed of mortar and ballast there will be no chance
of weeds getting though. You will need to ensure there is no chance of
weeds rooting in duff pointing though.
Neil
www.conceptgardens.com

Old 09-08-2004, 10:28 AM
David Hill

Neil said..
".........If you lay the slabs on a bed of mortar and ballast there will be
no chance of weeds getting though. You will need to ensure there is no
chance of weeds rooting in duff pointing though........"

I'd go with that, and if you do get any weeds then give them a dose of
roundup.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Derek Turner

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:28:20 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

I'd go with that, and if you do get any weeds then give them a dose of
roundup.

I'd prefer PathClear (or equivalent) as it contains simozine (sp.?) to
inhibit germination of the inevitable future seeds!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

wrote:

I'd go with that, and if you do get any weeds then give them a dose of
roundup.

I'd prefer PathClear (or equivalent) as it contains simozine (sp.?) to
inhibit germination of the inevitable future seeds!

I used PathClear on my front garden path and slabs - bloody useless I found
it !

I can confirm however that if this is of interest, it is "animal safe" (at
least the one I had purported to be on the bottle, and was).
I know this cos my puppy (then puppy) got into a child locked kitchen
cupboard (he ate the door until the lock fell off), into a heavy duty
tupperwear tub at the back of said cupboard (ate at it till the lid came
off) and chewed a bottle of it open. He didn't drink any or lick it up as it
got left in a lake on the floor but he must have ingested a little when
chewing the bottle.
He was absolutely fine, if terribly sheepish when I got home to find what
he'd done.

He got crated after that cos it scared me silly, fwiw. Destruction of
property you expect with a puppy but possible poisoning despite your best
efforts to lock things away is another thing entirely ...

Rachael