Old 11-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Derek Turner

Default pruning medlar

I have a medlar in its second season in my garden - the first time it
has set fruit. I am wondering if it needs 'summer pruning' of the
growth above the fruit in order to make it more bushy? This years frit
seems to have set on the end of last year's new growth so i don't want
to jeopardize next year's crop, OTOH I don't want a straggly tree.
Advice please!

tia
Derek
Old 12-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Bella

"Derek Turner" wrote in a message.
I have a medlar in its second season in my garden - the first time it
has set fruit. I am wondering if it needs 'summer pruning' of the
growth above the fruit in order to make it more bushy? This years frit
seems to have set on the end of last year's new growth so i don't want
to jeopardize next year's crop, OTOH I don't want a straggly tree.
Advice please!

---
Hi Derek,

The following info.might be of help to you. When pruning medlars, the
one-year-old terminal growths should be cut back by half for the first four
years, and by a quarter for the next two years. Cut back the stronger
one-year-old side growths by about half, leaving the weaker side shoots.
When your tree has reached the required height, take out the leading shoot
to induce growth of the laterals that will form the main branches. Keep your
medlar open by cutting out, in March, any unwanted growths from the centre
of the tree. Finally, don't forget to 'feed' your medlar with bone meal
every February at 3oz. per square yard all round the tree as far as the
branches spread.

HTH. Bella

Advice on pruning young apple, pear and medlar trees for a newcomer MaxDread United Kingdom 4 16-03-2017 09:37 AM
Medlar an unusual fruit David Hare-Scott[_2_] Edible Gardening 9 14-06-2012 11:33 AM
Medlar! mogga United Kingdom 6 30-11-2010 01:54 PM
my first medlar crop Ann Garden Photos 0 10-11-2006 12:20 AM
Advice on medlar please Mary Fisher United Kingdom 1 29-05-2003 09:32 AM