Old 15-08-2004, 12:39 PM
gary smith

Default Propagating Dicksonia Antartica query ??

I have a small Dicksonia Antartica (Australian hardy tree fern) that
appears to be rowing from the sides at ground level, as thou its going
to be growing branches from the base.

How do I propagate from these shoots ?? Is it a case of mounding the
soil up, to induce rooting ??

Old 15-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Kay

In article , gary smith
writes
I have a small Dicksonia Antartica (Australian hardy tree fern) that
appears to be rowing from the sides at ground level, as thou its going
to be growing branches from the base.

Are you sure it's D antarctica? I thought it was D squarrosa which was
more likely to do this?

--
Kay

Old 16-08-2004, 03:30 PM
David

Kay, you are right in my case.
I have the same thing happening with mine. I bought it several years ago
and overwinter it in an unheated greenhouse but each winter it completely
"dies" and in the spring sprouts from different places around the original
"trunk". I have just checked the growing instructions which came with it and
it's a "Dicksonia squarrosa"!
The web address is www.ponga.nl
regards,

David

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , gary smith
writes

Old 16-08-2004, 05:56 PM
gary smith

Are you sure it's D antarctica? I thought it was D squarrosa which was
more likely to do this?

I'm not sure now, the labels says Dicksonia Antartica. I must admit I
have only seen Dicksonia Antartica as a still trunk and not multi
branched.

So how do I tell the difference ??
Old 17-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Charlie Pridham

"gary smith" wrote in message

Are you sure it's D antarctica? I thought it was D squarrosa which was
more likely to do this?

I'm not sure now, the labels says Dicksonia Antartica. I must admit I
have only seen Dicksonia Antartica as a still trunk and not multi
branched.

So how do I tell the difference ??

Antarctica has a fat trunk and is brown in colour while squarrosa is much
more slender and darker, almost black. (it is also a great deal more tender
and there a very few gardens that could get away with it outside sadly)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk