Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Andy Hunt

I would have thought that logs would take up a lot more room than coal,
you'd have to have a pretty big bunker to keep sufficient wood to last
you for a few weeks.

Perhaps just a tarpaulin over the wood would be better?

I'm limited in the room I have to store logs, I'm only in an end-terrace
here in Bury, Lancs. Most of my back garden is taken up with plants and
furniture. I just had a spare space under my window, so I've filled it with
a 4'x3'x2' bunker. The wood I cut yesterday (aching all over now! Chainsaw
very good though) has just filled it nicely to the brim. I will have to see
how long it lasts me, it may be that I can make it last a while heating my
modest 2-up 2-down. It's the first time I've tried this, so this winter will
be a learning curve! Next year I'm hoping to stock up the bunker during the
summer, and season some logs from the council wood tip if I can.

I know that coal is much more energy dense, but I'm trying to be 'green' and
'carbon neutral' to see how the practicalities turn out . . . besides, I
think it's going to be fun scavenging for wood - it would be good to see if
I can get free fuel to last me the winter. I've already been promised the
spare wood from a second big building job in a few weeks.

I'm going to have the stove running my radiators and hot water cylinder,

That does take a lot of the heat away from the radiated amount into the
room.

With the size of the stove I've bought, I think that might be a good thing!
I'm after a room heater, not a sauna!

I will let you know how it turns out - having it installed next weekend.
Could be an interesting experience!

Andy