Old 14-09-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Privot

My neighbours hedge has developed bands of white foliage, anyone no what has
caused this?

It is not Aureum variety and has never done this before.

Regards G

Old 14-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Nick Gray

"G" wrote in message ...
My neighbours hedge has developed bands of white foliage, anyone no what

has
caused this?

It is not Aureum variety and has never done this before.

Regards G

Hi

It sounds like it might be Privet Thrips, have you had a look at the
effected leaves? Adult thrips are dark brown, the larvae are yellow - both
about 2mm long. Use a contact insecticide to control.

The thing that I'm not sure about though, is that thrip damage is normally
silver spots on the leaves rather than a banding across a hedge, although in
severe cases the whole of the leaf does turn silver. How wide and how long
is the banding? Could someone have sprayed the hedge with something that has
burnt / killed the leaves?

HTH

Cheers

Nick