Old 07-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Howard Neil

Default Bare rooted trees

I have heard that February is a good time to plant bare rooted deciduous
trees, can anyone else confirm this? Also I looking for a suitable

specimen
tree to plant in an existing border. Does anyone have any recommendations,

live in coastal South Wales, so the weather is mild, and damp! My soil is
acid, and free draining.

David

Any time during the dormant season is fine although, for obvious reasons, it
is best not to plant them when the ground is frozen.

If you have not bought them yet, try Carmarthen Tree Nursery (about half way
between Carmarthen and Cross Hands, south of the A48). They sell one year
old trees in a plug (better than bare rooted) and with local providence. It
is best to ring them first.

Regards

Howard Neil

Old 07-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Inge Jones

In article s3R0a.84$Lq.5243@stones, h.neil@whichREMOVE says...

Any time during the dormant season is fine although, for obvious reasons, it
is best not to plant them when the ground is frozen.

I notice the so-called dormant bare-root trees in Woolworths have
already started sprouting and wilting in their wrappers. It's hard to
know what the dormant season is these days. I'm getting all my stuff in
containers to be on the safe side.

Bare rooted trees David United Kingdom 5 10-02-2003 07:20 PM
Bare Rooted Trees David Gardening 1 09-02-2003 06:15 PM
Bare Rooted Hazel Chris Stewart United Kingdom 1 31-10-2002 11:33 PM
Bare rooted Sweet William plants -- where to get them ?? Bob United Kingdom 2 29-09-2002 06:48 PM