GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weedkiller (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84179-weedkiller.html)

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-09-2004 09:08 PM

The message
from (IntarsiaCo) contains these words:

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic"
producers?

So is urine, especially a bitch's.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Phil L 27-09-2004 09:18 PM

Franz Heymann wrote:
:: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
:: ...
::: In article ,
::: (Steve) wrote:
:::
:::: Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy?
:::
::: Look for weedkillers mentioning glyphosphate as an ingredient.
:::
:::: And where from?
:::
::: Garden Centres, etc.
::
:: But make sure you compare like with like when looking at prices.
:: The stuff is being marketed at various concentrations.
::
Yep!
B&Q do their own glyphosate weedkiller ready to use...it's a really weak
solution though....I don't know of anyone who does it the same concentration
as 'Roundup' itself.

Phil L 27-09-2004 09:48 PM

Martin wrote:
:: On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:18:33 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Franz Heymann wrote:
::::: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
::::: ...
:::::: In article ,
:::::: (Steve) wrote:
::::::
::::::: Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy?
::::::
:::::: Look for weedkillers mentioning glyphosphate as an ingredient.
::::::
::::::: And where from?
::::::
:::::: Garden Centres, etc.
:::::
::::: But make sure you compare like with like when looking at prices.
::::: The stuff is being marketed at various concentrations.
:::::
::: Yep!
::: B&Q do their own glyphosate weedkiller ready to use...it's a
::: really weak solution though....I don't know of anyone who does it
::: the same concentration as 'Roundup' itself.
::
:: Does the B&Q concentration work?
::

Not as good as the 'real' thing...I've found that dandelions (the bane of my
life!) needed two applications of the b&q stuff, but only one good dose of
roundup - it worked out cheaper to buy roundup in the long run.

Steve 27-09-2004 10:25 PM

Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!

But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
dissipate.

Steve.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:48:11 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
:: On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:18:33 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Franz Heymann wrote:
::::: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
::::: ...
:::::: In article ,
:::::: (Steve) wrote:
::::::
[...]

Thanks, that's what I suspected.

--
Martin

Phil L 27-09-2004 10:49 PM

Steve wrote:
:: Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!
::
:: But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
:: dissipate.
::
:: Steve.

TBH, I only use it on dandelions and occasionally thistles, everything else
I have is easy to get out by hand.
Roundup is useful for, dandelions, thistles and docks, all of which have
deep roots, any part which is left in will produce another plant.
if you have these weeds, I wouldn't bother with it:

Nettles: easy to get out and their roots are bright yellow...Alan gave some
excellent pointers on how to make the tops into a 'nettle manure'...details
he http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html

Brambles: Fairly easy to cut back and dig out the roots manually.

Grasses: as above, or turn the sods upside down now to let them rot down
over winter.

other 'flimsy' weeds like chickweed etc can just be turned in.

Jimbo 27-09-2004 11:20 PM

.uk...

wrote:

Martin wrote:
:: On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:18:33 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Franz Heymann wrote:
::::: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
::::: ...
:::::: In article ,
:::::: (Steve) wrote:
::::::
[...]

Agent Orange works well but does leave a lousy aftertaste. (And damages
offspring)

Alan Gould 28-09-2004 05:35 AM

In article , IntarsiaCo
writes
I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic" producers?

Vinegar is not a poison.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan Gould 28-09-2004 05:37 AM

In article , Martin
writes
Organic producers uses organically acceptable poisons in some cases.

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

I said poisons not herbicidal poisons.

This thread is about weed killers. In chemical form that is herbicides.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Franz Heymann 28-09-2004 06:43 AM

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article ,

IntarsiaCo
writes
I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic

producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to

"organic" producers?

Vinegar is not a poison.

Try again.

Franz

Franz Heymann 28-09-2004 06:48 AM

wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:
:: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
:: ...
::: In article ,
::: (Steve) wrote:
:::
:::: Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy?
:::
::: Look for weedkillers mentioning glyphosphate as an ingredient.
:::
:::: And where from?
:::
::: Garden Centres, etc.
::
:: But make sure you compare like with like when looking at prices.
:: The stuff is being marketed at various concentrations.
::
Yep!
B&Q do their own glyphosate weedkiller ready to use...it's a really

weak
solution though....I don't know of anyone who does it the same

concentration
as 'Roundup' itself.

Does the B&Q concentration work?

Yes, probably. But what you need to compare is the price per unit
volume of liquid multiplied by the concentration.
Alternatively, if the bottles display the soil area covered, compare
the price per unit area.

Franz

Franz Heymann 28-09-2004 06:53 AM

"Steve" wrote in message
.uk...
Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!

But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
dissipate.

[snip]

Wait till you see what an argument in urg actually is. {:-))

I think we are all exploring the topic to really find out if the
running out of the patent on Monsanto's roundup is, or is not,
actually putting cheaper products on the market. So far it is
dubious.

Franz

Jaques d'Alltrades 28-09-2004 09:21 AM

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:
In article , IntarsiaCo
writes

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic"
producers?

Vinegar is not a poison.

Yes it is. Too much water is a poison.

Jaques d'Alltrades 28-09-2004 09:24 AM

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

other 'flimsy' weeds like chickweed etc can just be turned in.

Or in the case of chickweed, incorporated into salads...

IntarsiaCo 28-09-2004 11:14 AM

Vinegar is not a poison.

It is if you are a weed. The active ingredient is definately a poison.
Is it an acceptable herbicide for the "organic" producer?

Alan Gould 28-09-2004 07:20 PM

In article , IntarsiaCo
writes
Vinegar is not a poison.

It is if you are a weed. The active ingredient is definately a poison.
Is it an acceptable herbicide for the "organic" producer?

Vinegar is not mentioned in the guidelines for organic weed control.
If it is a poisonous herbicide as you say, then it is not acceptable,
along with all spray type chemical weed-killers.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.