GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weedkiller (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/84179-weedkiller.html)

Steve 26-09-2004 05:47 PM

Weedkiller

Hi

Just starting out on an allotment and need a pointer.

I have been advised to treat the weeds with 'Roundup'. now this stuff is
about £20 a container. Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy? And where
from?

Cheers

Steve

Emrys Davies 26-09-2004 06:11 PM

'Steve',

Don't use weed killer. Just dig it (double digging is best) and remove
the weeds as you go.

Regards.
Emrys Davies.

.uk...

Alan Gould 26-09-2004 07:50 PM

In article , Emrys Davies
writes
'Steve',

Don't use weed killer. Just dig it (double digging is best) and remove
the weeds as you go.

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Peter Crosland 26-09-2004 07:54 PM

I have been advised to treat the weeds with 'Roundup'. now this stuff is
about £20 a container. Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy? And
where
from?

The main ingredient is glyphosphate.

Jimbo 26-09-2004 10:55 PM

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Emrys Davies
writes
'Steve',

Don't use weed killer. Just dig it (double digging is best) and remove
the weeds as you go.

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

Alan Gould 27-09-2004 05:50 AM

In article , Jimbo
writes

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

I try not to. :-(
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Spider 27-09-2004 11:59 AM

Jimbo (remove $ ) wrote in message

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Emrys Davies
writes
'Steve',

Don't use weed killer. Just dig it (double digging is best) and remove
the weeds as you go.

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

In this context, it doesn't matter what happens to commercial potatoes.
Most gardeners growing their own crops do so to avoid the poisons associated
with commercially-grown crops (excepting organic produce, of course).
Spider

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-09-2004 01:09 PM

The message
from "Jimbo" (remove $ ) contains these words:

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

They are sprayed with very strong sulphuric acid - IIRC, 85%

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Philip 27-09-2004 01:36 PM

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

I assume you are saying that commercial potato growers use glyphosate
on the field before they harvest the potato crop.

If they do does that make it good practice? I would have thought that
if someone is taking the time and trouble to maintain an allotment,
then they are probably aspiring to growing food that is not tainted by
commercial practices.

I dont want to put words into the OP's mouth, just that would be
uppermost in my mind if I had the time to 'dig'.

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-09-2004 03:01 PM

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:09:19 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from "Jimbo" (remove $ ) contains these words:

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes
plants
before the crop is harvested.

They are sprayed with very strong sulphuric acid - IIRC, 85%

To remove the leaves before picking or what?

Since there is a weak solution of sulphuric and hydrochloric acid
falling out of the sky daily, does it really make any difference if
the spuds are sprayed with 85% mix?

It's to kill the foliage so that the skins quickly harden on the tubers.
If you just harvest spuds when the haulm is still green they don't keep
so long.

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-09-2004 03:01 PM

The message
from (Philip) contains these words:

I agree with Emrys. Poisonous herbicides like Roundup are not suitable
for use where food plants are to be grown.

Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
before the crop is harvested.

I assume you are saying that commercial potato growers use glyphosate
on the field before they harvest the potato crop.

They don't. It's probably quite safe to use Paraquat/gramoxone, but I
wouldn't. Roundup/glyphosate is systemic.

If they do does that make it good practice? I would have thought that
if someone is taking the time and trouble to maintain an allotment,
then they are probably aspiring to growing food that is not tainted by
commercial practices.

Nothing the matter with Roundup when applied sensibly.

I dont want to put words into the OP's mouth, just that would be
uppermost in my mind if I had the time to 'dig'.

It's certainly the right time to prepare the ground by digging, and the
wrong time for applying weedkiller.

Steve Harris 27-09-2004 05:43 PM

In article ,
(Steve) wrote:

Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy?

Look for weedkillers mentioning glyphosphate as an ingredient.

And where from?

Garden Centres, etc.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Alan Gould 27-09-2004 06:59 PM

In article , Martin
writes
Organic producers uses organically acceptable poisons in some cases.

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

IntarsiaCo 27-09-2004 08:34 PM

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic" producers?

Franz Heymann 27-09-2004 08:41 PM

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Steve) wrote:

Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy?

Look for weedkillers mentioning glyphosphate as an ingredient.

And where from?

Garden Centres, etc.

But make sure you compare like with like when looking at prices. The
stuff is being marketed at various concentrations.

Franz

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-09-2004 09:08 PM

The message
from (IntarsiaCo) contains these words:

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic"
producers?

So is urine, especially a bitch's.

Phil L 27-09-2004 09:18 PM

Franz Heymann wrote:
:: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
:: ...
::: In article ,
::: (Steve) wrote:
:::
:::: Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy?
:::
::: Look for weedkillers mentioning glyphosphate as an ingredient.
:::
:::: And where from?
:::
::: Garden Centres, etc.
::
:: But make sure you compare like with like when looking at prices.
:: The stuff is being marketed at various concentrations.
::
Yep!
B&Q do their own glyphosate weedkiller ready to use...it's a really weak
solution though....I don't know of anyone who does it the same concentration
as 'Roundup' itself.

Phil L 27-09-2004 09:48 PM

Martin wrote:
:: On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:18:33 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Franz Heymann wrote:
::::: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
::::: ...
:::::: In article ,
:::::: (Steve) wrote:
::::::
::::::: Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy?
::::::
:::::: Look for weedkillers mentioning glyphosphate as an ingredient.
::::::
::::::: And where from?
::::::
:::::: Garden Centres, etc.
:::::
::::: But make sure you compare like with like when looking at prices.
::::: The stuff is being marketed at various concentrations.
:::::
::: Yep!
::: B&Q do their own glyphosate weedkiller ready to use...it's a
::: really weak solution though....I don't know of anyone who does it
::: the same concentration as 'Roundup' itself.
::
:: Does the B&Q concentration work?
::

Not as good as the 'real' thing...I've found that dandelions (the bane of my
life!) needed two applications of the b&q stuff, but only one good dose of
roundup - it worked out cheaper to buy roundup in the long run.

Steve 27-09-2004 10:25 PM

Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!

But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
dissipate.

Steve.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:48:11 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
:: On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:18:33 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Franz Heymann wrote:
::::: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
::::: ...
:::::: In article ,
:::::: (Steve) wrote:
::::::
[...]

Thanks, that's what I suspected.

--
Martin

Phil L 27-09-2004 10:49 PM

Steve wrote:
:: Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!
::
:: But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
:: dissipate.
::
:: Steve.

TBH, I only use it on dandelions and occasionally thistles, everything else
I have is easy to get out by hand.
Roundup is useful for, dandelions, thistles and docks, all of which have
deep roots, any part which is left in will produce another plant.
if you have these weeds, I wouldn't bother with it:

Nettles: easy to get out and their roots are bright yellow...Alan gave some
excellent pointers on how to make the tops into a 'nettle manure'...details
he http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html

Brambles: Fairly easy to cut back and dig out the roots manually.

Grasses: as above, or turn the sods upside down now to let them rot down
over winter.

other 'flimsy' weeds like chickweed etc can just be turned in.

Jimbo 27-09-2004 11:20 PM

.uk...

wrote:

Martin wrote:
:: On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:18:33 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Franz Heymann wrote:
::::: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
::::: ...
:::::: In article ,
:::::: (Steve) wrote:
::::::
[...]

Agent Orange works well but does leave a lousy aftertaste. (And damages
offspring)

Alan Gould 28-09-2004 05:35 AM

In article , IntarsiaCo
writes
I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic" producers?

Vinegar is not a poison.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan Gould 28-09-2004 05:37 AM

In article , Martin
writes
Organic producers uses organically acceptable poisons in some cases.

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

I said poisons not herbicidal poisons.

This thread is about weed killers. In chemical form that is herbicides.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Franz Heymann 28-09-2004 06:43 AM

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article ,

IntarsiaCo
writes
I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic

producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to

"organic" producers?

Vinegar is not a poison.

Try again.

Franz

Franz Heymann 28-09-2004 06:48 AM

wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote:
:: "Steve Harris" wrote in message
:: ...
::: In article ,
::: (Steve) wrote:
:::
:::: Is there a generic eqivalent I might buy?
:::
::: Look for weedkillers mentioning glyphosphate as an ingredient.
:::
:::: And where from?
:::
::: Garden Centres, etc.
::
:: But make sure you compare like with like when looking at prices.
:: The stuff is being marketed at various concentrations.
::
Yep!
B&Q do their own glyphosate weedkiller ready to use...it's a really

weak
solution though....I don't know of anyone who does it the same

concentration
as 'Roundup' itself.

Does the B&Q concentration work?

Yes, probably. But what you need to compare is the price per unit
volume of liquid multiplied by the concentration.
Alternatively, if the bottles display the soil area covered, compare
the price per unit area.

Franz

Franz Heymann 28-09-2004 06:53 AM

"Steve" wrote in message
.uk...
Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!

But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
dissipate.

[snip]

Wait till you see what an argument in urg actually is. {:-))

I think we are all exploring the topic to really find out if the
running out of the patent on Monsanto's roundup is, or is not,
actually putting cheaper products on the market. So far it is
dubious.

Franz

Jaques d'Alltrades 28-09-2004 09:21 AM

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:
In article , IntarsiaCo
writes

I don't know any herbicidal poisons acceptable to organic producers.
Could you be more specific?

Vinegar is a non-selective herbicide. Is it acceptable to "organic"
producers?

Vinegar is not a poison.

Yes it is. Too much water is a poison.

Jaques d'Alltrades 28-09-2004 09:24 AM

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

other 'flimsy' weeds like chickweed etc can just be turned in.

Or in the case of chickweed, incorporated into salads...

IntarsiaCo 28-09-2004 11:14 AM

Vinegar is not a poison.

It is if you are a weed. The active ingredient is definately a poison.
Is it an acceptable herbicide for the "organic" producer?

Alan Gould 28-09-2004 07:20 PM

In article , IntarsiaCo
writes
Vinegar is not a poison.

It is if you are a weed. The active ingredient is definately a poison.
Is it an acceptable herbicide for the "organic" producer?

Vinegar is not mentioned in the guidelines for organic weed control.
If it is a poisonous herbicide as you say, then it is not acceptable,
along with all spray type chemical weed-killers.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Nick Maclaren 28-09-2004 07:41 PM

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , IntarsiaCo
writes
Vinegar is not a poison.

It is if you are a weed. The active ingredient is definately a poison.
Is it an acceptable herbicide for the "organic" producer?

Vinegar is not mentioned in the guidelines for organic weed control.
If it is a poisonous herbicide as you say, then it is not acceptable,
along with all spray type chemical weed-killers.

Such as extract of macerated walnut leaves?

Regarding vinegar and walnut leaf extract as "not organic" is most
definitely making a religion out of what is, at least basically,
a scientific approach.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

anton 28-09-2004 07:55 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
.uk...
Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!

But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while to
dissipate.

[snip]

Wait till you see what an argument in urg actually is. {:-))

I think we are all exploring the topic to really find out if the
running out of the patent on Monsanto's roundup is, or is not,
actually putting cheaper products on the market. So far it is
dubious.

There have been lots of generic roundups available cheaper for a while.
Roundup has changed to Roundup Ultra, with a changed surfactant, I believe.

--
Anton

Franz Heymann 28-09-2004 09:36 PM

"anton" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
.uk...
Hey, didn't meen to spark an argument!!

But thanks lads. I'll go for Roundup and leave it a good while

dissipate.

[snip]

Wait till you see what an argument in urg actually is. {:-))

I think we are all exploring the topic to really find out if the
running out of the patent on Monsanto's roundup is, or is not,
actually putting cheaper products on the market. So far it is
dubious.

There have been lots of generic roundups available cheaper for a

while.

The only ones I have come across which were significantly cheaper,
were so only because they were less concentrated than Roundup.
If you would quote the name of one of these cheaper ones, I would
definitely keep a look out for it.

anton 28-09-2004 11:23 PM

"anton" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

There have been lots of generic roundups available cheaper for a

while.

The only ones I have come across which were significantly cheaper,
were so only because they were less concentrated than Roundup.
If you would quote the name of one of these cheaper ones, I would
definitely keep a look out for it.

Nufarm 'Clinic' herbicide, for instance- from memory, about £25 for 5litres
with about 30-odd percent glyphosate, 40-odd percent glyphosate salt, 50-odd
percent solids including surfactant. Ag. suppliers will all have a generic
roundup, but you might need to buy 5 litres.

--
Anton

Franz Heymann 29-09-2004 06:36 AM

"anton" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"anton" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

There have been lots of generic roundups available cheaper for a

while.

The only ones I have come across which were significantly cheaper,
were so only because they were less concentrated than Roundup.
If you would quote the name of one of these cheaper ones, I would
definitely keep a look out for it.

Nufarm 'Clinic' herbicide, for instance- from memory, about £25 for

5litres
with about 30-odd percent glyphosate, 40-odd percent glyphosate

salt, 50-odd
percent solids including surfactant. Ag. suppliers will all have a

generic
roundup, but you might need to buy 5 litres.

Many thanks. I'll look in at a convenirnt ag shop.

Franz

IntarsiaCo 29-09-2004 10:33 AM

Vinegar is not mentioned in the guidelines for organic weed control.
If it is a poisonous herbicide as you say, then it is not acceptable,
along with all spray type chemical weed-killers.

Who made up these silly guidelines? Are they meant to be followed blindly?

Nick Maclaren 29-09-2004 10:48 AM

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:09:19 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
| wrote:
|
| Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
| before the crop is harvested.
|
| They are sprayed with very strong sulphuric acid - IIRC, 85%
|
| To remove the leaves before picking or what?
|
| Since there is a weak solution of sulphuric and hydrochloric acid
| falling out of the sky daily, does it really make any difference if
| the spuds are sprayed with 85% mix?

Well, it probably doesn't make much difference to the ecology,
but I very much doubt that they do use that. The local farmers
grow potatoes, I often see farm equipment being moved along the
roads, and I have never seen any equipment of a type that could
handle that. 85% sulphuric acid cuts through steel or flesh in
a very short space of time - not as fast as Aqua Regia, but fast.

Are you sure that it isn't some other acid? Even hydrochloric
is MUCH easier and safer to handle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 29-09-2004 11:51 AM

The message

Well, it probably doesn't make much difference to the ecology,
but I very much doubt that they do use that. The local farmers
grow potatoes, I often see farm equipment being moved along the
roads, and I have never seen any equipment of a type that could
handle that. 85% sulphuric acid cuts through steel or flesh in
a very short space of time - not as fast as Aqua Regia, but fast.

Are you sure that it isn't some other acid? Even hydrochloric
is MUCH easier and safer to handle.

Regards,

I am sure, and I was horrified when I discovered it was being used on
large fields of spuds in which there were numbers of partridges and
pheasants, not to mention wildlife.

Partridges and pheasants especially may sit tight while farm machinery
passes by or over them, and - well, I leave the rest up to your
imagination.

I think the practice should be made illegal.

It is mainly large contractors who rent huge areas of land, plant their
own seed potatoes and harvest them with their own tackle, not small
farmers who would need specialist machinery. Most of them (as do some of
our local potato growers) let the haulm die down naturally.

Steve Harris 29-09-2004 04:52 PM

In article ,
(Phil L) wrote:

it worked out cheaper to buy roundup in the long run.

If you study the packaging carefully, you will note:

- Dilution before use is the norm
- The glyphosate content

You will find several offerings cheaper than Roundup (more glyphosate
per pound)

Jaques d'Alltrades 29-09-2004 05:58 PM

The message
from Martin contains these words:

AFAIR from childhood, the leaves etc. had died back by the time potato
harvesting/spud picking began. Have things changed so much?
Is the acid treatment reserved for crops of new potatoes

Yes, and no.

Harvest your maincrop early and you get a better price, and if the
weather becomes wet, a better yield.

The idea is for the tubers to remain in the ground for a week or two so
the skins harden, which improves their keeping properties.