Old 02-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Klara

In message , Martin
writes
I thought the problem is not the printing ink/toner, but, rather, the
(chlorine?) bleach used to make the paper white? Book publishers
(especially US) also often identify the paper used as being 'acid-free',
but what about other paper?

Book publishers identify paper as acid free to indicate that the paper
doesn't self destruct in the way that non acid free paper does.
--

Ah ... and here I thought it was environmentally friendly somehow...
(good news for paperbacks I'm fond of, though)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 02-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Franz Heymann

"Klara" wrote in message

[snip]

I thought the problem is not the printing ink/toner, but, rather,

the
(chlorine?) bleach used to make the paper white? Book publishers
(especially US) also often identify the paper used as being

'acid-free',
but what about other paper?

I would be surprised if there is any more than a smidgeon of bleach
left in the paper a day or two after it is laid.

Franz

Old 02-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Klara

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Klara" wrote in message

[snip]

I thought the problem is not the printing ink/toner, but, rather,

the
(chlorine?) bleach used to make the paper white? Book publishers
(especially US) also often identify the paper used as being

'acid-free',
but what about other paper?

I would be surprised if there is any more than a smidgeon of bleach
left in the paper a day or two after it is laid.

Franz

Wild picture in my mind there for a minute!
- and me in publishing, too ...
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 02-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Klara

In message , Martin
writes
Ah ... and here I thought it was environmentally friendly somehow...
(good news for paperbacks I'm fond of, though)

but bad news for all the paperbacks I have hoarded over the last forty
odd years, most are terminally yellowed.

And they disintegrate even more terminally when you open them.
I now have a number of them sitting neatly in plastic folders, but
referring to them is another matter. The compost bin beckons...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 02-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Franz Heymann

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , Franz Heymann
writes

[snip]

I would be surprised if there is any more than a smidgeon of bleach
left in the paper a day or two after it is laid.

Wild picture in my mind there for a minute!
- and me in publishing, too ...

{:-))

Franz

Old 06-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Dave

Chris Hogg writes
Newsprint paper is made from simple wood-pulp. Glossy papers, such as
used for magazines etc. have coatings of fine white mineral pigments
such as china clay, chalk or titanium dioxide, in order to give a
smoother, whiter surface that is both glossy and better for printing
on.

In the past, many of the pigments in coloured inks use for magazines
were toxic, but so much paper gets recycled these days, and health &
safety considerations are so important, that I doubt very much if any
modern inks are toxic.

The main issue is the likely re-use of the material in food packaging,
and so its all produced to a standard that will meet these specs after
recycling, AIUI.
--
David

Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
Composting Office Paper Down Under On The Bucket Farm Edible Gardening 32 18-02-2004 02:07 AM
Composting Office Paper Down Under On The Bucket Farm Gardening 29 18-02-2004 02:02 AM
Composting Paper Rusty Mase Texas 0 07-01-2004 09:50 PM
composting shredded paper Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 8 24-12-2003 12:10 AM