Old 16-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Mark Fawcett

Default composting shredded paper

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of composting shredded
computer printout or indeed if it can or should be done. Any major
drawbacks?
Where I work they seem to get rid of large quantities on regular basis
so I was wondering if I was missing an opportunity.

Mark

Old 16-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Mark Fawcett" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of composting shredded
computer printout or indeed if it can or should be done. Any major
drawbacks?
Where I work they seem to get rid of large quantities on regular basis
so I was wondering if I was missing an opportunity.

Mark

We add a fair bit of shredded newspaper to our kitchen bin/heap the worms
reduce it along with everything else, whether the ink has any detremental
effects I have no idea I am afraid.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-12-2003, 06:32 PM
bnd777

"Mark Fawcett" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of composting shredded
computer printout or indeed if it can or should be done. Any major
drawbacks?
Where I work they seem to get rid of large quantities on regular basis
so I was wondering if I was missing an opportunity.

Mark

Absolutely great ......shredded paper,cardboard, egg boxes etc well mixed
with a heap of other stuff its a prerequisite for good compost
Dont forget the buckets of pee to accelerate things

Old 16-12-2003, 10:03 PM
David Hill

".........I have used it for bedding in my worm bin; got shredded stuff from
accounting folks at former $workplace. I always told the head bean counter
that my worms preferred shredded accounts receivable. He said he did too.
For composting, just remember that paper is just wood fiber, these days
usually not containing Bad Things. For quicker breakdown, you need to add
some nitrogen-rich material.
Now that I'm retired, the worms get shredded credit card offers. Plenty to
keep them happy......"

Is this giving credit where it's due?
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 16-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mark Fawcett" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of composting shredded
computer printout or indeed if it can or should be done. Any major
drawbacks?
Where I work they seem to get rid of large quantities on regular basis
so I was wondering if I was missing an opportunity.

Compost material needs a good nitrogen/carbon ratio.
Paper has practically no nitrogen. So if you want to compost paper, make
sure you mix it with nitrogenous material or wet it thoroughly with liquid
nitrogenous fertiliser. Urine is good for the purpose.

Franz

Old 16-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire

We used to bed the horses on thick strips of newspaper or Yellow Pages and that went down as fast as straw, but without the added hassle of barley seeds in the compost!

I guess only time will tell how much you can add to a compost heap, but we had about 50/50 horse muck and paper with no problems so long as it was damp and not allowed to get too clogged with lumps of pure paper.
__________________
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection
Old 24-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Benign Vanilla

"Mark Fawcett" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of composting shredded
computer printout or indeed if it can or should be done. Any major
drawbacks?
Where I work they seem to get rid of large quantities on regular basis
so I was wondering if I was missing an opportunity.

I compost paper all of the time. Junk mail, computer paper, etc. It is
especially helpful when your compost pile gets too wet. I avoid any glossy
paper.

--
BV.
WebPorgmaster

Pre Composting Shredded Paper. steve auvache United Kingdom 20 27-05-2007 01:47 AM
Shredded paper mulch Wolf K Gardening 4 16-09-2006 07:05 PM
Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
Shredded paper as mulch? Ken Oaf Australia 8 05-10-2004 10:26 PM
shredded paper for composting bill Gardening 1 24-02-2004 11:19 PM