Old 09-02-2003, 08:47 AM
JennyC

Default Peacock butterfly ?

There was a beautiful Peacock butterfly sitting on the settee this
morning when I came downstairs !!!!!!!!
It was moving its wings but does not seem to be able to
fly..............

My nature book says they can spend the winter indoors but do hatch in
early spring.

Should I put it outside ?
Does it need feeding ?

Jenny

Old 09-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Malcolm

In article , JennyC
writes
There was a beautiful Peacock butterfly sitting on the settee this
morning when I came downstairs !!!!!!!!
It was moving its wings but does not seem to be able to
fly..............

My nature book says they can spend the winter indoors but do hatch in
early spring.

Should I put it outside ?
Does it need feeding ?

I would put it somewhere cool and dark, like a garage or an unheated
room. It has been woken up far too early from hibernation, perhaps
because of the heating in your house. It could well have been behind a
curtain or pelmet. I would advise against trying to feed it, because
always supposing it would, this will merely stimulate it to more
activity whereas it is better if it goes back to sleep.

--
Malcolm
Old 09-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Neil Jones

"JennyC" wrote in message ...
There was a beautiful Peacock butterfly sitting on the settee this
morning when I came downstairs !!!!!!!!
It was moving its wings but does not seem to be able to
fly..............

My nature book says they can spend the winter indoors but do hatch in
early spring.

Should I put it outside ?
Does it need feeding ?

Jenny

What I do with butterflies that emerge early is put them in a box in an outhouse
where it is cold and then release them on a warm day in March.

If you put it outside it may find a new place to rest for the winter it may not.
We don't actually know a lot about places where butterflies hibernate.

Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog
National Nature Reserve
Old 10-02-2003, 11:10 AM
A.Malhotra

Malcolm wrote:

In article , JennyC
writes
There was a beautiful Peacock butterfly sitting on the settee this
morning when I came downstairs !!!!!!!!
It was moving its wings but does not seem to be able to
fly..............

My nature book says they can spend the winter indoors but do hatch in
early spring.

Should I put it outside ?
Does it need feeding ?

I would put it somewhere cool and dark, like a garage or an unheated
room. It has been woken up far too early from hibernation, perhaps
because of the heating in your house.

We saw the first peacock of the season sunning itself on a radside verge
yesterday. There were a few dandelions and celandines in flower, I hope
that's going to be enough to keep it going! But its a sign that they are
stirring in the "natural" world too.
Anita
Old 10-02-2003, 03:24 PM
BAC

"JennyC" wrote in message
There was a beautiful Peacock butterfly sitting on the settee this
morning when I came downstairs !!!!!!!!
It was moving its wings but does not seem to be able to
fly..............

My nature book says they can spend the winter indoors but do hatch in
early spring.

Should I put it outside ?
Does it need feeding ?

Since you asked the question, I assume you've caught and confined the
creature? If so, I suggest you don't release it outside just yet, but put it
in a shed or outhouse for a few weeks. Most authorities give March as the
beginning of normal wake up time for hibernating peacocks, but, given our
milder winters, who knows?

I visited an old house in a town a few miles down the road from here a few
years ago, which had literally dozens of butterflies hibernating on the
inner walls of the stairwell. I've never seen anything like it. The lady who
lived there said it had 'always' been like that. I've got to admit, I was
rather jealous.